Field Technician VIApply Now Date posted 02/13/2019 Requisition Number: 231292BR Location: United States - Idaho - Coeur D'Alene Area of Interest: Construction, Engineering/Technical Operations, Operations/General, Telecommunications Position Type: Full Time
Under limited supervision; are responsible for the installation, testing and repair of network hardware and solutions for Charter commercial fiber customers. Includes the need to install, configure, test, and troubleshoot Ethernet and TDM circuits. Circuits include the use of fiber and copper transport medium between switches and routers.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience
Perform network installations and maintenance, trouble shoot, repair and modify data, voice and video network equipment
Respond to equipment failures, trouble shoot and repair equipment while providing the customer with productive communications regarding the repair process
Work with technical support personnel to diagnose and correct service related issues
Perform other duties as requested by supervisor
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Moderate to good understanding of IP networks.
- Knowledge of Ethernet, T1, DS3, OC3, OC48 circuits
- Knowledge of the difference between various types of WAN/LAN circuits.
- Knowledge of Layer 1, 2 and 3 networking
- Knowledge of standard Telco industry wire wrapping is a plus
- Knowledge of CWDM and DWDM (wave division multiplexing) is a plus
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to self-start and prioritize each days activities
- Ability to establish positive relationships with fellow employees and customers
- Ability to use the following hand tools: Wire wrap tools, wire stripers, Ethernet crimp tools, BNC crimp tools, wrenches, screwdrivers , etc.
- Ability to use Test equipment: DVM, T-Berd, light meter, Ethernet test sets (RFC2544), etc.
- Ability to differentiate between different sizes and colors of wires
- Ability to run and organize wires and jumpers in Charter facilities and at the customer premise.
- Ability to fully utilize a Laptop (e.g. configure the Windows IP stack, use of Microsoft Office suite, use of Visio. Use of apps like Secure CRT, Putty, Hyper term, etc)
- Ability to work with small components and wires to make cabling connections
- Knowledge of company products and services
- Ability to understand and apply company safety policies
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner
High School Diploma and applicable college or Technical school training, or equivalent work or military experience
Associates or Bachelors in electronics or other related experience preferred
Related Work Experience
1-2 years experience, including
IP networking experience
Installation and repair of WAN/LAN related equipment experience
Certifications and/or Licenses
CCNA , ENA or JCNA desired
Valid driver's license with satisfactory driving record within Company required standards
Work in Charter facilities and in commercial customer buildings
Work a regular day time shift
Participates in an On Call rotation which can include call outs day or night
Work and travel in inclement weather
Frequent day travel within 1 to 200 mile radius; occasional overnight travel
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go