Reporter/MMJ - Spectrum News WisconsinApply Now Date posted 03/14/2019 Requisition Number: 231758BR-1 Location: United States - Wisconsin - Green Bay Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Editorial, Network Television Production, News, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Spectrum Networks is looking for enthusiastic, talented and driven individuals to join the best and brightest in gathering, producing and delivering news that make a difference within a 24-hour breaking news environment!
Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
JOIN OUR JOURNEY IF…
You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
Research, develop, write, edit, shoot and live presentation of news stories on deadline. Contribute to special features and stories. Participate in coordinating coverage of major stories, breaking news and specials.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create original news stories; gather information for news stories using beat sources, contacts and leads
- Build contacts and sources within the assigned bureau’s community
- Report within assigned deadlines
- Deliver news reports, including live reports, demonstrating energy, confidence, professional appearance and voice quality
- Write, shoot and edit own news stories for an assigned newscast or news series
- Combine video, audio and graphics to tell the story effectively
- Work with a photographer on occasion
- Work with assignment desk editors and master control operators and independently in the newsgathering process
- Manage general upkeep of assigned company equipment
- Responsible for representing channel in a professional manner
- Establish a community presence outside of the newscasts
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Must have sufficiently strong story development skills to submit original story ideas on a daily basis
- Live shot experience required
- Must be able to develop sources, work a beat, and break stories
- Must have strong on-camera skills
- Must have ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to clearly communicate solutions
- Ability to relate well with diverse populations and age groups
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel
- Ability to handle breaking news on-air
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving
- Must obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license for authorized driving in the State of residence
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field or comparable television work experience preferred
Related Work Experience
3 Years Television news reporting experience
- Works inside in a climate controlled environment and outside throughout the year and may be subjected to various weather conditions that could include extreme heat or cold conditions
- Must be able to work under time pressure deadlines and willing and able to work different shifts or longer shifts due to "breaking news" and severe weather emergencies. Willing and able to work weekends and holidays
- Lifting and carrying up to 70 pounds
Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Our commitment is to create relevant, timely content essential in the day to day lives of the people who live in the communities we serve. Additionally, our breadth allows us to share relevant content across our nation-wide networks, increasing our opportunity to share timely stories. We truly believe in continually redefining and re-establishing how we engage with our viewers and their local communities. Each Spectrum Networks’ employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude!
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go