Principal Engineer IApply Now Date posted 01/18/2019 Requisition Number: 234128BR Location: United States - Colorado - Englewood Area of Interest: Engineering/Technical Operations, Telecommunications Position Type: Full Time
The Advanced Engineering department resides in the Charter Technical Engineering Center (CTEC) facilities in Englewood, CO and oversees the design and architecture of Charter’s multi-billion dollar network infrastructure. We investigate, select, develop, and integrate technologies and solutions that meet the needs of the company for short, medium and long term initiatives. This includes the delivery of the technology plan and future architecture for Voice, Video, Data, Optical, Commercial, Cloud, CPE, Network and Access.
A position as a technical leader of a team of engineers responsible for Charter's Access products, services and technology in proof of concept, development and QA lab environments. The individual will be a key contributor to the development and deployment of DOCSIS platforms that include CCAP CMTS from several vendors along with: ARRIS E6000, Cisco 10K I-CMTS, Cisco 10K M-CMTS, Cisco RFGW-10, Cisco cBR8, CASA C100G, Gainspeed Ethernode, Harmonic CableOS, Harmonic NSG Pro, Adtran C9516, Nokia 7360 FX-4, Sumitomo FSU7100. This position will be responsible for testing and integration of multiple vendor products into Charter's networks. Hands on work in a lab or cable system environment are required to validate test plans and configurations before service deployment. Participation in industry working groups and technical forums related to technology development and standards may be required.
Major Duties and Responsibilites
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
• Contribute to the Company vision of being the industry leader in customer service through quality, commitment, courtesy and teamwork.
• Responsible for leading testing, evaluation, integration and configuration of Charter ACCESS platforms.
• Act as a technical leader for all testing and configuration activities.
• Ability to accomplish activities related to system design, equipment configuration and installation, integration, testing and service validation prior to commercial deployment.
• Develop documentation related to design and proper configuration of system components.
• Troubleshoot and analyze transport, networking and software configurations.
• Has ability to transfer knowledge to division and field engineering personnel as necessary to insure the timely deployment of new technology.
• Represent Charter business interests in a wide variety of settings and relationships including company management, business partners, and equipment vendors.
• Be a contributor for Charter Business offerings such as RIP, MIR, BSOD and static IP services.
• In addition contribute to SW development and TR-069 technologies including defining Charter specifications for CPE WAN Management Protocol (CWMP).
• Define Charter custom models between customer-premises equipment (CPE) and Auto Configuration Servers (ACS).
• Position includes standardizing Charter auto configuration and the control of other CPE management functions within an integrated framework.
• This includes design and testing of the growing number of different Internet access devices such as modems, OLT’s, eMTA’s, routers, gateways, set-top boxes, and VoIP-phones for the end-users.
• Contribute to the growth of SDN/NFV in the Access device categories, utilizing NETConf and YANG models.
• Act as highest-level escalation point for customer issues in the enterprise.
REQUIREMENTS: ACCESS Technology Knowledge: DOCSIS 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, DAA, Remote MAC/MAC-Phy, HFC/RF/Optical, i-CMTS, M-CMTS, (E6000, 10K, cBR8, C100G, C40G) CCAP, eCM’s, eMTA’s, Business Services (RIP, Static, MIR, BsOD), PON/FTTx, ePON, OLT’s, (C9516, 7360 FX-4, FSU7100) MAP-T, NAT444, IPv6, NETConf, YANG, Openstack, VMware, VSphere, UCS, TR-069, ACS, CWMP experience
Bachelor’s Degree in related technology or equivalent work experience and industry certifications (CCNP, Cable lab certs…etc)
Related Work Experience (Number of Years)
• 7-10+ years’ of overall experience
• Solid experience & knowledge of industry DOCSIS standards (3.0), CMTS devices (Arris (E6000), Casa, and Cisco (10K & CBR8)
• Q/A Testing experience – desirable
• Knowledge in network design, network architecture, protocols and network topology, network protocols - OSPF/BGP/IS-IS/RIP, TCP/IP, and the OSI Model
Some travel required - Travel as needed for work support (10%)
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go