Principal Engineer IApply Now Date posted 07/11/2019 Requisition Number: 243410BR Location: United States - Colorado - Englewood Area of Interest: Engineering Position Type: Full Time
Charter Communications is America’s fastest growing TV, internet and voice company. We’re committed to integrating the highest quality service with superior entertainment and communications products. Charter is at the intersection of technology and entertainment, facilitating essential communications that connect 24 million residential and business customers in 41 states. Our commitment to serving customers and exceeding their expectations is the bedrock of Charter’s business strategy and it’s the philosophy that guides our 90,000 employees.
The Advanced Engineering department resides in the Charter Technical Engineering Center (CTEC) facilities in Englewood, CO and oversees the design and architecture of Charter’s multi-billion dollar network infrastructure. We investigate, select, develop, and integrate technologies and solutions that meet the needs of the company for short, medium and long term initiatives. This includes the delivery of the technology plan and future architecture for Voice, Video, Data, Optical, Commercial, Cloud, CPE, Network and Access.
Charter’s ACMI Solutions development team is seeking a Software Engineer to join our team. Role will be responsible for the architecture, implementation, and documentation of software designed to deliver product offerings to our customers along with advanced product intelligence information to business stakeholders
Duties and Responsibilities
• Work with application architecture team to understand requirements, constraints, and design goals
• Participate in code reviews and refactoring
• Work with other team members to estimate development effort based on user stories
• Diagnose complex issues, evaluate, design, recommend and execute the best solution
• Develop software that meets design specifications and requirements
• Deliver technology demonstrations to stakeholders at points within development process for review
• Write and automatically execute TDD-based tests against pre-defined requirements/user stories
• Research and develop new technologies for possible inclusion in solutions
Required Skills / Experience
• Thorough understanding of object-oriented programming models and concepts
• Experience building various API/event-driven process flows at enterprise scale
• Enforce and mentor others on various Git branching models including Gitflow
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Experience with operationalizing software (log rotation, startup/shutdown/maintenance scripts, etc) in a Linux/*nix environment
• Advanced Linux user skills
• Thorough understanding of network protocols (DHCPv6 & DHCP, TCP, UDP, DNS, LDAP, SNMP) and others
Preferred Skills / Experience
• Software interaction with message brokers such as ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ, MQ Series
• Experience with low-level compiled languages such as C/C++ or Java
• Experience with Go, Python, or other OO languages is valuable in lieu of Perl, Ruby or C++
• Experience with scripted/interpreted languages such as Perl, Ruby/JRuby, Lua (including Lua C API)
• IPv6 experience valuable
• Understanding of IP networking technologies with specific knowledge of network addressing, routing, IP filtering, network-based load balancing, etc.
• Experience with Cable industry high speed data infrastructure including familiarity with DOCSIS, PacketCable, and device provisioning models
• Experience with application frameworks such as LAMP/MEAN/etc.
• Packaging and deploying software using RPM and Apt/Yum
• Experience with containerization and orchestration tools (Docker, Chef, Saltstack, etc.) highly desired
• Installation, operation, and configuration of Linux/Solaris/*nix-based systems
• Database design, deployment, and tuning using MySQL and InnoDB
• Object-Oriented Programming – Expert, 3 years
• Development Methodology and Procedures – Intermediate, 2 years
• Network: Communications – Intermediate, 2 years
• Linux – Intermediate, 2 years
• TDD and/or BDD Testing – intermediate, 2 years
• Cable Systems – Novice, 1 year
• Telecommunications – Novice, 1 years
Occasional travel as required
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.