Principal Engineer I - Provisioning and Applications Ops
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Spectrum’s growth and success in the ever-evolving technological landscape are built on the sophisticated innovations and service reliability our Network Operations groups provide. Applications Platform Operations (APO) encompasses an expansive range of proficiencies over five major areas of expertise: IT Security, Provisioning, Operations System Support, Data Implementation, and Email and Customer Portal. We focus on the technology and services that create a seamless and secure customer experience.
- Full Time
- Job Level: Entry to Senior
- Travel: Occasional
What makes you successful in Applications Platform Operations?
Check out our top traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solving
- Detail Oriented
- Team Player
Job FunctionDate posted 08/06/2019 Requisition Number: 246219BR Location: United States - Colorado - Greenwood Village Area of Interest: Engineering, Information Technology Services, Network Operations, Software Engineering Position Type: Full Time
Responsible for engineering activities that maintain and enhance the company's telecommunications and signal processing hardware, software and electrical systems. Works with technical operations staff on system design and configuration. Works with design teams and advises team leaders.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for engineering activities that maintain and enhance platforms owned by the Service Delivery Systems teams.
- Mentors and guides the work of technical staff.
- Act as a liaison between application development staff and operations, providing insight and subject matter expertise where appropriate.
- Develop and peer-review documentation related to operational tasks.
- Collaborate with application developers, network and cloud engineers to plan, document and execute business-critical projects.
- Identify business or internal needs and develop scripts (primarily BASH and Python) to automate where appropriate and aid operational efficiency.
- Perform health checks and continual analysis on application and system performance metrics using a variety of resources including embedded system software and third-party applications such as Wily and TeamQuest (JVMs), OP5 and Xymon/BigBrother (OS), and others.
- Accountable for the development and maintenance of documented procedures for deployments, upgrades, patching, and troubleshooting of a wide variety of issues, with a focus on Hardware, Software and Operating System level areas (with coordination with management peers of other groups as appropriate)
- Work with application owners to identify system components and to document data flows between systems as well as between boundaries.
- Maximizes performance by both monitoring and analyzing performance, troubleshooting problems, tuning, optimizing, and balancing.
- Review planned changed documentation to determine accuracy and compliance to Charter standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Information Systems or related field, and/or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of eight (8) years Network Engineering experience.
- Minimum of Seven (7) years of Apache Tomcat and JBoss application administration.
- At least Seven (7) years of Linux/Unix Operating systems and LDAP-related technologies such as NetIQ eDirectory and Ping experience.
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, vendors, in-person, on the phone and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward and professional manner.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of ticketing systems (Remedy, ServiceNow, JIRA)
- Expert level knowledge of message brokers such as ActiveMQ and RabbitMQ
- Advanced knowledge of systems architecture, SOAP, and REST APIs
- Advanced knowledge of least one of the following scripting languages: BASH, Python, Perl
- Working knowledge of cloud-based systems infrastructure
- Working knowledge of network design, architecture, protocols and topology including TCP/IP and the OSI Model
- Working knowledge of MySQL and Oracle databases
- Familiarity with network devices such as routers, switches, firewalls and load balancers
- Ability to perform duties in a very fast-paced environment
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Ability to create detailed documentation
- Knowledge of BPS (Broadband Provisioning Systems)
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Having worked for Spectrum for over 10 years, I have been provided with the opportunity to learn within my role, but I have also taken advantage of education assistance to support the completion of my degree. I started at the front line and worked my way to Engineering, so I can attest to the opportunity for career growth the company has presented. Leadership has developed an environment where self-starters can thrive.Andrew, Systems Engineer III
Working for Spectrum has been an excellent experience, both challenging and rewarding. As an Engineer in a group responsible for our company's private Cloud infrastructure, I’ve had a unique opportunity to work with a variety of platforms and systems on a large scale not present in most companies. Our team is a group of diverse individuals who don't just believe in supporting each other and excelling in our roles, but who put these ideas into practice every day. Our department leaders make an equally large effort to ensure that we are equipped with the tools, training, skills, and knowledge needed to support today's virtualization platforms, along with tomorrow's upcoming technologies. I am proud to be part of this company and my team, and each day I look forward to coming to work knowing that I am contributing to the success of the company, and the satisfaction of our customers.Eric, Systems Engineer III
INSIDE NETWORK OPERATIONS
Read about our growing collaborative Network Operations teams.
THIS IS SPECTRUM
Learn more about our 95,000 employees, range of products and services, and advertising solutions available to 26 million customers in 41 states.
OPPORTUNITY AND INNOVATION
Find a career in advanced technology here.
Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision plans available.
Paid Time Off
Paid vacation, sick and personal time, and holidays.
401(k) Retirement Savings
We provide a 100% match for every dollar you contribute, up to 6% of your eligible pay.
We support continuing education for personal and professional growth.
Advancement is a very real and achievable goal.
Training and Certification
Sponsored courses help enhance your skills.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.