Principal Engineer I – Cloud Infrastructure
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Spectrum’s growth and success in the ever-evolving technological landscape are built on the sophisticated innovations and service reliability our Network Operations groups provide. Applications Platform Operations (APO) encompasses an expansive range of proficiencies over five major areas of expertise: IT Security, Provisioning, Operations System Support, Data Implementation, and Email and Customer Portal. We focus on the technology and services that create a seamless and secure customer experience.
- Full Time
- Job Level: Entry to Senior
- Travel: Occasional
What makes you successful in Applications Platform Operations?
Check out our top traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solving
- Detail Oriented
- Team Player
Job FunctionDate posted 08/09/2019 Requisition Number: 246804BR Location: United States - Colorado - Greenwood Village Area of Interest: Cloud Engineering, Engineering, Network Operations, Software Engineering, Systems Engineer, Technical Support Position Type: Full Time
Responsible for design, architecture, implementation, and support of complete operating system lifecycle management in our Cloud Infrastructure group. Implement and enhance current and new operating system security hardening and patching standards to adhere to company compliance policies. Support on premise Cloud operations including maintenance, on call, triage, deployment, and planning for Cloud Infrastructure. Participate and engage as part of a cross functional team to support the initiatives of the department and our customers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for design, architecture, implementation, and support of complete operating system lifecycle management.
- Develop and maintain operating system security hardening and patching standards to establish OS golden images.
- Analyze and improve complete system lifecycle management solution for operating systems and servers.
- Automate current OS lifecycle management solutions, to include integration of new tools and products.
- Support and maintain current systems for Cloud Infrastructure including Compute, Virtualization, and Containers.
- Facilitate and contribute to architecture discussions with peers and executive leadership to ensure Cloud Infrastructure is supporting business needs.
- Plan, structure, and execute on extended efforts in cross functional groups with Advanced Engineering, IT, and others to ensure collaboration and success
- Create, maintain, and communicate detailed documentation to functionally understand new and existing applications.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Electronic Engineering, or related field and/or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of eight (8) years Network Engineering experience
- Minimum eight (8) years of experience with Advanced Linux Operating Systems Administration and Compute platforms including Rack Mount and Blade based technologies.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience with automated provisioning, OS security hardening, and system lifecycle management
- Minimum five (5) years of experience working with Network Attach Storage, Storage Area Networks, and File and Block based storage
- Minimum five (5) years of experience with Virtualization platforms such as VMware, Fiber Channel and Ethernet switching networks
- Minimum three (3) years of experience with MS Windows Operating System Administration
- Minimum one (1) year of experience with Container technology such as Kubernetes and Docker
- Minimum one (1) year of experience with Continuation Integration / Continuous Development pipeline tools
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner
- Knowledge of Data Center Operations, Cloud Infrastructure, Server Compute, SAN Storage, Virtualization, Advanced Video, IP Networks, and Telephony
- Ability to handle multiple projects and tasksand to make decisions and solve problems while working under pressure.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of all FCC compliance reports and other rules and regulations
- Knowledge of Cable Television or related technologies
- Experience with Windows systems administration.
- Experience with SAN, NAS, Fiber Channel, NFS, VMware, Red Hat Satellite, CloudForms, OpenShift and Ansible.
- Experience with large Virtual Deployments using SAN and NAS storage solutions.
- Experience with Compute in a Cloud Environment using Rack Mount and Blade Servers.
- Certifications in Red Hat technologies and products
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Having worked for Spectrum for over 10 years, I have been provided with the opportunity to learn within my role, but I have also taken advantage of education assistance to support the completion of my degree. I started at the front line and worked my way to Engineering, so I can attest to the opportunity for career growth the company has presented. Leadership has developed an environment where self-starters can thrive.Andrew, Systems Engineer III
Working for Spectrum has been an excellent experience, both challenging and rewarding. As an Engineer in a group responsible for our company's private Cloud infrastructure, I’ve had a unique opportunity to work with a variety of platforms and systems on a large scale not present in most companies. Our team is a group of diverse individuals who don't just believe in supporting each other and excelling in our roles, but who put these ideas into practice every day. Our department leaders make an equally large effort to ensure that we are equipped with the tools, training, skills, and knowledge needed to support today's virtualization platforms, along with tomorrow's upcoming technologies. I am proud to be part of this company and my team, and each day I look forward to coming to work knowing that I am contributing to the success of the company, and the satisfaction of our customers.Eric, Systems Engineer III
INSIDE NETWORK OPERATIONS
Read about our growing collaborative Network Operations teams.
THIS IS SPECTRUM
Learn more about our 95,000 employees, range of products and services, and advertising solutions available to 26 million customers in 41 states.
OPPORTUNITY AND INNOVATION
Find a career in advanced technology here.
Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision plans available.
Paid Time Off
Paid vacation, sick and personal time, and holidays.
401(k) Retirement Savings
We provide a 100% match for every dollar you contribute, up to 6% of your eligible pay.
We support continuing education for personal and professional growth.
Advancement is a very real and achievable goal.
Training and Certification
Sponsored courses help enhance your skills.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.