Operations Manager - Spectrum News AlbanyApply Now Date posted 11/19/2019 Requisition Number: 249655BR Location: United States - New York - Albany Area of Interest: News, TV Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Operations Manager is responsible for the oversight of day to day operations within all Master Control and Production Control environments. Collaborates with Senior Operations and Editorial staff, in developing and executing a production strategy for 24/7 news environment.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Schedule Operations Staff in multiple departments (Master Control, Production Control,) for prospective shifts as production needs and on-air requires
- Will troubleshoot processes and equipment, and recommend appropriate solutions
- Structure Operational procedures in all areas
- Oversee the Production Staffing
- Handle approval of paid time off for all direct reports and manage employee timecards through Kronos timekeeping system
- Assist with recruitment efforts, hires and trains employees, and conducts performance appraisals
- Fosters and maintains a positive work atmosphere and training environment
- Maintain up to date knowledge on system operation and environment
- Oversee day to day management of broadcast automation systems
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures in all operational areas
- Maintain training documentation and operational training
- Create, review, and respond to issue tickets as submitted by users and staff
- Execute cross-training opportunities
- Analyze Operational workflow
- Provide positive customer service for variety of clients including editorial and marketing partners
- Report to Senior Director of Operations
- Direct and/or technical direct live and recorded segments with team discretion of final news production process
- Operate and maintain working knowledge of production equipment such as Sony production switchers, Chyron character generator, remote controlled cameras, audio board, still store, P2 based VTR, computers and various automation systems
- Mix all Audio sources needed (mics, vo, sots, pkgs, music, etc.)
- Operate all equipment in production control rooms
- Operate Master Control switcher and all control room devices and integrated systems for multiple markets
- Knowledge of on air backup procedures and equipment
- Knowledge of cablecast distribution path
- Manipulate Multiview layouts via Evertz MVP platform
- Other Duties as Assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to provide leadership, management in a customer support environment
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret most complex documents
- Ability to understand engineering documentation including CAD drawings and system designs
- Ability to relay complex technical information in easy to access form for non-technical audience
- Knowledge of broadcast automation systems, including Dalet Galaxy news environment
- Ability to perform functions of Supervisors, as well as delegate authority to carry out work of the unit to subordinate Supervisor
- Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on a variety of complex topics to top management, public groups, or staff
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience; Masters preferred
- Degree in Television Production, Broadcast Engineering or Communication preferred
- Minimum 5 years management experience in television news or production
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.