Systems Engineer III - Operation Systems Support
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Spectrum’s growth and success in the ever-evolving technological landscape are built on the sophisticated innovations and service reliability our Network Operations groups provide. Applications Platform Operations (APO) encompasses an expansive range of proficiencies over five major areas of expertise: IT Security, Provisioning, Operations System Support, Data Implementation, and Email and Customer Portal. We focus on the technology and services that create a seamless and secure customer experience.
- Full Time
- Job Level: Entry to Senior
- Travel: Occasional
What makes you successful in Applications Platform Operations?
Check out our top traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solving
- Detail Oriented
- Team Player
Job FunctionDate posted 11/30/2019 Requisition Number: 250101BR Location: United States - Colorado - Greenwood Village Area of Interest: Engineering, Network Operations, Systems Engineer Position Type: Full Time
The Systems Engineer III (Network Management System) is responsible for assisting design, development, and implementation of enterprise-wide Operations Support Systems (OSS) applications, the operating systems, and their associated databases. This role is also responsible for Application Administration of OSS applications supporting all Charter Divisions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain the assigned application with all applicable patches, upgrades, bug fixes and configuration changes
- Responsible for future planning of the architecture with team peers, advanced engineering and management
- Planning and implementing future developments
- Create and provide presentations to peers and management when required
- Responsible for the detailed level configuration requirements of the hardware, OS configuration, scripting and scripting efficiencies as well as detailed [low level] OS knowledge for changes that may be required for break fix repairs
- Responsible for on-call notifications specific to this application at all times supporting the NOC and APO support center
- Other duties as assigned specific to the success of the OSS platform team which may include the supporting of a other platform initiatives when the support/help is needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, and/or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of Systems Engineering experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience working with Linux/Unix
- Minimum of five (5) years network / OSI model, database interaction and utilization
- Minimum of five (5) years of hands-on experience in developing and supporting analysis environment applications and network elements
- Experience working with the following technologies: Linux RedHat, python, bash, PERL, SQL, IP networking protocols, network analytics [some tool], kafka, DNS, RADIUS, LDAP, SSO
- Experience with one or more of the following applications: Splunk, Netflow, F5, Cisco CNR, kafka, confluent, cloudera, Hadoop, postgres, SQL/mysql, Vertica
- Solid scripting capabilities with bash, python, or perl
- Operational support experience at the carrier or large enterprise level
- Experience with one or more of the following applications: Network routing, network switching, DNS, DHCP, RADIUS, LDAP, IPDR, load balancing, disaster recovery, scaling and sizing for network bandwidth utilization
- Experience with Development and document of standards, processes and procedures
- Able to Configure and administer access control to the NMS applications
- Customize applications or create policy in response to user requests
- Undertaking routine maintenance of assigned systems, including system patching/upgrades and compliance management along with outage calls for support
- Working closely with other teams and collaborating with other team members
- Experience with 2nd and 3rd level support and problem resolution
- Part of rotating on call support
- Experience working within Telecommunications industry, preferably MSO or large Tier 1 carrier
- Database work and mining
- Scripting capabilities
- DPI based experience
- Kafka experience
- Data analytics and tool management experience
- Experience working within Telecommunications and cable industry
- Certification in Splunk applications: Splunk architect/admin/power-user a plus
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Having worked for Spectrum for over 10 years, I have been provided with the opportunity to learn within my role, but I have also taken advantage of education assistance to support the completion of my degree. I started at the front line and worked my way to Engineering, so I can attest to the opportunity for career growth the company has presented. Leadership has developed an environment where self-starters can thrive.Andrew, Systems Engineer III
Working for Spectrum has been an excellent experience, both challenging and rewarding. As an Engineer in a group responsible for our company's private Cloud infrastructure, I’ve had a unique opportunity to work with a variety of platforms and systems on a large scale not present in most companies. Our team is a group of diverse individuals who don't just believe in supporting each other and excelling in our roles, but who put these ideas into practice every day. Our department leaders make an equally large effort to ensure that we are equipped with the tools, training, skills, and knowledge needed to support today's virtualization platforms, along with tomorrow's upcoming technologies. I am proud to be part of this company and my team, and each day I look forward to coming to work knowing that I am contributing to the success of the company, and the satisfaction of our customers.Eric, Systems Engineer III
INSIDE NETWORK OPERATIONS
Read about our growing collaborative Network Operations teams.
THIS IS SPECTRUM
Learn about our 98,000 employees, products and services, and advertising solutions offered to 28 million customers in 41 states.
OPPORTUNITY AND INNOVATION
Find a career in advanced technology here.
Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision plans available.
Paid Time Off
Paid vacation, sick and personal time, and holidays.
401(k) Retirement Savings
We provide a 100% match for every dollar you contribute, up to 6% of your eligible pay.
We support continuing education for personal and professional growth.
Advancement is a very real and achievable goal.
Training and Certification
Sponsored courses help enhance your skills.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.