Principal Engineer I - Telephony Systems and Virtualization Engineer
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Spectrum’s growth and success in the ever-evolving technological landscape are built on the sophisticated innovations and service reliability our Network Operations groups provide. Network Technology Operations (NTO) improves data transfer, maximizes stability and efficiency over established infrastructure, and simplifies operations. Our foundational DOCSIS teams integrate communication architectures, topologies, hardware, software, transmission and signaling links, and protocols into complete network configurations. On top of that, Cable, Wireless Operations, and Video groups innovate next-generation entertainment and communications platforms to enhance capabilities. IP Management and Circuit Utilization groups advance and integrate technologies to create a seamless, satisfying customer experience.
- Full Time
- Job Level: Entry to Senior
- Travel: Occasional
What makes you successful in Network Technology Operations?
Check out our top traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solving
- Detail Oriented
- Team Player
Job FunctionDate posted 12/30/2019 Requisition Number: 250504BR Location: United States - Colorado - Greenwood Village Area of Interest: Engineering, Network Operations, Software Engineering, Systems Engineer Position Type: Full Time
Responsible for effective installation/configuration, provisioning, operations, monitoring, and maintenance of on premise Cloud Infrastructure supporting voice applications and customer-facing environments. Participate and engage as part of a cross functional team to support the initiatives of the department and our customers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Effectively work with System Engineers, Principal Engineers, Project Managers, Developers and Management to provide timely execution, support, planning, implementation and increased uptimes of business systems.
- Analyze and improve complete system life-cycle management solution for operating systems and servers.
- Support and maintain current systems for Cloud Infrastructure including Compute, Virtualization, and Storage.
- Participate in architecture discussions with peer and senior engineers to ensure Cloud Infrastructure is supporting business needs.
- Applicant must be able to participate effectively on team and enterprise projects
- Applicant must know or quickly learn the technical and business working environment through initiative and direction from senior staff and/or peers.
- Candidate must be available for occasional evening/weekend system maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science, Engineering or other technical field, or relevant work professional experience
- Minimum of eight (8) years of related work experience in VMware ESXi administration or engineering in a clustered host environment
- Minimum of six (6) years of related work experience with Cisco server hardware and management such as UCS Manager, UCS Central, UCS Director
- Minimum of six (6) years experience with Compute platforms including Rack Mount and Blade based technologies
- Minimum of six (6) years experience with Fiber Channel and Ethernet switching networks
- Minimum of five (5) years experience supporting enterprise storage solutions, developing storage migration designs and overseeing large migrations between data centers
- Experience with the following; Unix and RHEL systems administration including SAN, NAS, Fiber Channel, NFS, S3, and Block Storage
- Large Virtual Deployments using SAN and NAS storage solutions-Compute in a Cloud Environment using Rack Mount and Blade Servers
- Experience and certifications with VMware / Cisco technologies and products, this also includes VMWare vRealize Suite (Operations Manager, Log Insight, Network Insight), and vSphere Platform Experience with VMware vSphere and vCenter upgrades (vSphere 5.5 to 6.x), and also enterprise storage / backup solutions (VMAX/Pure/Net App/Rubrix
- Experience with VMware vSAN 6.x implementation, administration, and maintenance
- Experience with Cisco UCS 5108 Chassis with B series and C series servers; deployment and maintenance including firmware and driver installation
- Experience with Cisco and Brocade storage switches and Cisco fiber interconnects
- Strong analytic and research skills
- Familiar with information system architecture to include systems, storage, networking components.
- Has extensive knowledge of existing industry standards, technologies and infrastructure operations.
- Familiar with SDLC (Systems Development Life Cycle) with planning, creating, testing, and deploying new or previously deployed application instances.
- Experience with configuration management tools (Puppet, Chef, and similar tools) is a plus.
- Experience with scripting tools (Linux Shell, Powershell, PowerCLI, Python) is a plus.
- Industry certifications such as ITIL, etc. a plus
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
I have enjoyed my time at Spectrum for several reasons. I am first and foremost appreciative of the inclusive environment. You have the opportunity to be involved in as many projects and policy discussions as you choose, along with day-to-day projects. Our leadership sees the value of both and is appreciative of all contributions. Spectrum also sees value in employee development and provides programs for both educational and technical growth. I have seen team leaders encourage all team members to take advantage of these programs and support individuals’ efforts to grow. I enjoy the exposure to technology. We engineers we have the opportunity to discuss, learn, and work with some of the most advanced technology available in the marketplace.Robert, Network Engineer III
In my 25 years of working in the cable/telecom industry, Spectrum has been the best environment. I believe it is due to the diversified work force, training opportunities, and emphasis on teamwork among senior and junior engineers. I believe my fellow engineers would agree that we have the opportunity to discuss, learn, and work with some of the most advanced technology available. And Spectrum provides great benefits! Looking back over the years, I can’t think of a better place to work.Michael, Network Engineer IV
INSIDE NETWORK OPERATIONS
Read about our growing collaborative Network Operations teams.
THIS IS SPECTRUM
Learn about our 98,000 employees, products and services, and advertising solutions offered to 28 million customers in 41 states.
OPPORTUNITY AND INNOVATION
Find a career in advanced technology here.
Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision plans available.
Paid Time Off
Paid vacation, sick and personal time, and holidays.
401(k) Retirement Savings
We provide a 100% match for every dollar you contribute, up to 6% of your eligible pay.
We support continuing education for personal and professional growth.
Advancement is a very real and achievable goal.
Training and Certification
Sponsored courses help enhance your skills.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.