Principal Engineer II – IP Video Delivery
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Spectrum’s growth and success in the ever-evolving technological landscape are built on the sophisticated innovations and service reliability our Network Operations groups provide. Video Operations cultivates our dynamic video ecosystem, ensuring smooth transitions from source to satellite to screen. Working groups are dedicated to creating and harnessing cutting-edge streaming and data technologies to smooth and improve the user experience. We engineer complex architecture, offering technical troubleshooting and market support for all of our video products, including hardware, software and related infrastructure.
- Full Time
- Job Level: Entry to Senior
- Travel: Occasional
What makes you successful in Video Operations?
Check out our top traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solving
- Detail Oriented
- Team Player
Job FunctionDate posted 10/11/2019 Requisition Number: 250983BR Location: United States - Colorado - Greenwood Village Area of Interest: Engineering, Network Operations, Technical Operations, Video Operations Position Type: Full Time
Seeking an experienced systems administrator to support advanced engineering and operational responsibilities for Charter’s STVA IP Delivery platforms. Will be responsible for operational and engineering activities that maintain and enhance the company's content delivery hardware, software and systems. Works closely with other network operations staff on system design, engineering, configuration and operation. Recognized as a technical and design expert. Leads design teams and advises team leaders.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for engineering activities that maintain and enhance the company's telecommunications and content delivery hardware, software, and electrical systems.
- Design and deploy network protocols including TCP/IP, UDP, and VLANs. Utilize staging/lab environment to validate test plans and configurations before service deployment.
- Direct support in Maintenance window for new/critical deployments to ensure process and procedures are properly written and deliver the expected results
- Develop test cases and use cases in efforts to meet business needs and enhance the customer experience as well as provide a high-level of engineering technical documents and support to operational personnel.
- Ensure all technical integration, changes, standards and documentation are met.
- Troubleshooting client streaming issues using packet capture tools including Wireshark. Develop automation scripts for platform testing and deployment support.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, and/or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of Systems / Server Administration of CentOS/Linux UNIX.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of Network Engineering experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience with either or both Chef/Puppet
- Expert level knowledge and experience in the creation of original tools using one or more of the following scripting languages: bash, perl, python, or go; python and perl preferred.
- Solid knowledge and ability to perform ABR video delivery analysis and effectively communicate data analysis results to leadership and group environments (verbal and written).
- Deep level understanding of ABR Streaming methodologies, HLS, DASH (ts and iso) HSS (Smooth streaming)
- Superior level knowledge of Digital Rights Management solutions for Charter’s ABR video streaming solution
- Extensive knowledge of (Linux, Unix, Encoders, Packagers, Content Delivery Networks, control and back office systems)
- Highly skilled Infrastructure knowledge (Raw Iron/bare metal, Steel Cloud, ElasticCloud, OpenStack, AWS)
- Skilled at troubleshooting network issues using packet capture tools including Wireshark.
- Preparing systems integration and test certification reports, generating test reports, MOPs and bug reports.
- High level knowledge in using ticketing and software tools such as: Remedy, Incident portal, Jira, Service Now etc.
- Adept at mapping mid-stream altercations and additions to requirements to in-flight work and summarizing impacts.
- Ability to operate independently with occasional oversite.
- Travel as occasions demand to meet the business needs.
- Prior experience working as project technical lead and a demonstrated history of training more junior technical staff.
- Excellent written and verbal skills - Uses clear, concise, technically accurate language in describing events and challenges.
- Assembles concise, understandable analysis and clearly identifies facts and opinion
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
I have always been intrigued with video and how it works, from the satellite to the customer’s home. It’s also really exciting to be a part of team that is working on the future of the internet and TV. Our teams at Spectrum come from a variety of different backgrounds, with people from all over the world. We get the opportunity to learn and work with some of the most talented people in their field.Brandon, Director, Video Operations
I’ve been in my role on the Video Operations team since joining Spectrum 3.5 years ago. My role is to ensure that, when our customers watch our video content, it is available when they want it, where they want it, and how they want it. Our employees have unique skillsets and points of view, which makes for great collaboration and leveraging of top talent. The company fosters an environment of success and progression. We have the tools in place to help everyone succeed.John, Sr. Director, Video Operations
INSIDE NETWORK OPERATIONS
Read about our growing collaborative Network Operations teams.
THIS IS SPECTRUM
Learn about our 98,000 employees, products and services, and advertising solutions offered to 28 million customers in 41 states.
OPPORTUNITY AND INNOVATION
Find a career in advanced technology here.
Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision plans available.
Paid Time Off
Paid vacation, sick and personal time, and holidays.
401(k) Retirement Savings
We provide a 100% match for every dollar you contribute, up to 6% of your eligible pay.
We support continuing education for personal and professional growth.
Advancement is a very real and achievable goal.
Training and Certification
Sponsored courses help enhance your skills.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.