Telephone Ops Engineer III - Telephony
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Spectrum’s growth and success in the ever-evolving technological landscape are built on the sophisticated innovations and service reliability our Network Operations groups provide. Network Technology Operations (NTO) improves data transfer, maximizes stability and efficiency over established infrastructure, and simplifies operations. Our foundational DOCSIS teams integrate communication architectures, topologies, hardware, software, transmission and signaling links, and protocols into complete network configurations. On top of that, Cable, Wireless Operations, and Video groups innovate next-generation entertainment and communications platforms to enhance capabilities. IP Management and Circuit Utilization groups advance and integrate technologies to create a seamless, satisfying customer experience.
- Full Time
- Job Level: Entry to Senior
- Travel: Occasional
What makes you successful in Network Technology Operations?
Check out our top traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solving
- Detail Oriented
- Team Player
Job FunctionDate posted 01/14/2020 Requisition Number: 256492BR Location: United States - Colorado - Greenwood Village Area of Interest: Engineering, Network Engineering, Systems Engineer, Technical Operations Position Type: Full Time
Under minimal supervision, responsible for managing the Voice Core switching and routing platforms deployed by the company. Specifically responsible for performing or providing support for the following functional areas: Operations, Administration, Maintenance, and Provisioning. Switches may be Constant Bit Rate (CBR)/ Time Division Multiplexed (TDM) or packet based such as Voice Over IP soft switches. Able to resolve the vast majority of telephony network trouble tickets without assistance. Provides troubleshooting assistance to entry level & mid-level switch engineers. Able to direct the trouble shooting efforts during major outages.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Evaluates, coordinates, and supports all core telephony equipment activity including hardware and software upgrades and maintenance. Supported voice core platforms include Nokia IMS, Metaswitch CFS/ISUMG, Session Border Controllers, Sonus/Ribbon tandem components, Broadsoft Network and Application Servers, Nokia ALU/CTS, Nokia hiQ, and multiple Media Server platforms.
- Demonstrates IP knowledge, L2, L3, TCP, UDP and telephony equivalents. Ability to troubleshoot IP connectivity issues.
- Configures and troubleshoots SS7, ISUP, and SIP unassisted. Assists and coordinates the efforts of other TOE I/II in configuring and troubleshooting SS7, ISUP, and SIP.
- Follows established guidelines for telephone network daily health check procedures and determines call out protocols during outage situations.
- Prepares detailed RCA documentation as a post mortem for critical outages.
- Creates mops for other TOE's to implement. Reviews and guides other TOE's in mop creation and implementation.
- Assumes a leadership role during major outages, coordinating not only within the Telephony group but between functional areas.
- Assumes a leadership role in all Residential and Business telephony issues, coordinating not only within the Telephony group but between functional areas.
- Documents and assists other TOE's with documenting switch and telephone network architecture.
- Performs other duties as requested by supervisor.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field, and / or equivalent work experience
- Minimum five (5) years of experience with wireline, wireless, or broadband telephony
- Minimum three (3) years of Data network experience
- Advanced knowledge of related industry specifications and standards IEEE, ANSI, Physical Media (Multimode Fiber, Single-mode Fiber, UTP, etc.), bridging, switching, routing, Ethernet and transport technologies and protocols
- Experience with network design, network architecture, protocols and network topology
- TCP/IP and the OSI Model
- Experience in network devices and basic network appliances
- Ability to perform duties in a very fast pace environment and ability to learn new technology quickly
- Knowledge of company products and services
- Industry and vendor specific certifications and training (Cisco, Nokia, Metaswitch, Alcatel-Lucent, etc.)
- Office Environment
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
I have enjoyed my time at Spectrum for several reasons. I am first and foremost appreciative of the inclusive environment. You have the opportunity to be involved in as many projects and policy discussions as you choose, along with day-to-day projects. Our leadership sees the value of both and is appreciative of all contributions. Spectrum also sees value in employee development and provides programs for both educational and technical growth. I have seen team leaders encourage all team members to take advantage of these programs and support individuals’ efforts to grow. I enjoy the exposure to technology. We engineers we have the opportunity to discuss, learn, and work with some of the most advanced technology available in the marketplace.Robert, Network Engineer III
In my 25 years of working in the cable/telecom industry, Spectrum has been the best environment. I believe it is due to the diversified work force, training opportunities, and emphasis on teamwork among senior and junior engineers. I believe my fellow engineers would agree that we have the opportunity to discuss, learn, and work with some of the most advanced technology available. And Spectrum provides great benefits! Looking back over the years, I can’t think of a better place to work.Michael, Network Engineer IV
INSIDE NETWORK OPERATIONS
Read about our growing collaborative Network Operations teams.
THIS IS SPECTRUM
Learn about our 98,000 employees, products and services, and advertising solutions offered to 28 million customers in 41 states.
OPPORTUNITY AND INNOVATION
Find a career in advanced technology here.
Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision plans available.
Paid Time Off
Paid vacation, sick and personal time, and holidays.
401(k) Retirement Savings
We provide a 100% match for every dollar you contribute, up to 6% of your eligible pay.
We support continuing education for personal and professional growth.
Advancement is a very real and achievable goal.
Training and Certification
Sponsored courses help enhance your skills.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.