Network Engineer 2Apply Now Date posted 03/17/2017 Requisition Number: 190303BR Location: United States - Texas - Austin Area of Interest: Engineering/Technical Operations, Telecommunications Position Type: Full Time
|Network Engineer II - Spectrum Enterprise Engineering & Operations Provisioning Team|
|Posting Job Description||Charter currently seeks a Network Engineer for our Commercial Engineering Provisioning Department. Below please find a brief description of the essential duties and responsibilities required to function successfully in this position.|
The Network Engineer will be responsible primarily for implementation and configuration of new services and change requests. Additional requirements will include managing network functionality and ensuring stability of local and wide area networks across the nationwide commercial fiber footprint. The engineer must demonstrate a high level of competence with command line configurations for routing and switching, as well as a strong knowledge for troubleshooting issues on existing network infrastructure. The engineer will implement new services, change existing services, and remove services as requested while following strict change management guidelines to ensure network integrity.
Essential Job Functions:
• Implement and maintain access, edge and core network configurations on new and existing infrastructure in strict adherence to existing engineering best practices and standards.
• Processing and handling of engineering requests for implementation, configuration changes, and service disconnects through defined workflows via the Salesforce tool.
• Demonstrate a strong capacity for troubleshooting newly implemented configurations for a network event surrounding possible impact to existing services and infrastructure.
• Daily use of various network automation utilities as well as issue tracking, inter-departmental cooperation, and proof of concept testing for existing and future releases of automation software.
• Able to clearly compose and draft network documentation, designs, or flow charts as needed for specification on network standards, processes, or projects.
• Effective time management and tracking for project based work including scopes, scheduling estimates, and delivery capability to ensure projects are clearly defined and demonstrate a high level of accuracy for delivery within time constraints and within budget.
• Will participate in an on-call/standby rotation and is expected to respond after hours and on weekends for escalated provisioning requests.
• Provides technical guidance and assistance to other departmental boundary partners within the Spectrum Enterprise organization such as field technicians, or other engineering and support teams.
• Perform QA functions for validation and performance testing of newly installed services and hardware.
• Configure, service and support all provider edge (PE) routers and premises equipment necessary for the delivery of commercial and carrier class Ethernet services. This includes all equipment, both active and passive, in the network.
• Testing and validation of all newly installed premises equipment as well as core links and services carried along the path to ensure delivery and performance contract specifications are met.
• Required to participate in on-call/standby rotations for evenings and weekends as needed for escalated requests.
• Ability to verify and troubleshoot configurations as needed to ensure the integrity of existing network infrastructure and services are maintained during daily tasks to minimize any impact or outages that may impair the customer experience.
• Other duties as assigned on an as needed basis.
• A minimum of 3 years of data network operations and support experience.
• Required – 2 years’ experience with Cisco, Juniper or Alcatel routers and switches.
• Required – Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience of LAN, WAN, and telecommunication equipment, understanding of all OSI layers from application to physical, knowledge of RIP, MPLS, ISIS, OSPF and BGP, and experience with bandwidth utilization monitoring.
• Required – 2 years of hands-on experience supporting/maintaining Cisco and or other major out of band access technology platforms.
• Required – 2 years of hands-on experience using major NMS/Provisioning systems like Alcatel SAM, Cisco CTM or other like tools.
• Industry recognized network certifications is preferred but not required. Familiarity with Salesforce, Granite preferred.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or equivalent training, education and experience.
More on Spectrum: Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, current unemployment status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. Charter Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Current Unemployment Status.
Spectrum is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Current Unemployment Status.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go