Principal Engineer I - Access Network EngineeringApply Now Date posted 03/17/2017 Requisition Number: 188053BR Location: United States - Colorado - Englewood Area of Interest: Engineering/Technical Operations Position Type: Full Time
A position as a technical leader of a team of engineers responsible for Charter's Access products, services and technology in proof of concept, development and QA lab environments. The individual will be a key contributor to the development and deployment of PON platforms that include CCAP CMTS from several vendors along with: ARRIS E6000, , Cisco cBR8, CASA C100G, Gainspeed Ethernode, Harmonic CableOS, Harmonic NSG Pro, Adtran C9516, Nokia 7360 FX-4, Sumitomo FSU7100. This position will be responsible for testing and integration of multiple vendor products into Charter's networks. Hands on work in a lab or cable system environment are required to validate test plans and configurations before service deployment. Participation in industry working groups and technical forums related to technology development and standards may be required.
The individual will also support vendors with product and service requirements based on Charter business needs and internal customer requests. The position requires strong technical skills working knowledge of the Access (not just limited to DOCSIS) Specifications including the following technologies:
- FTTx, EPON
- CCAP, DAA (Remote Phy, Remote MAC/Phy)
- DSG, BSoD, Packet Cable
- IPv4, IPv6
- Other emerging technologies
- SDN/NFV, NETConf, YANG
- DOCSIS 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1
- Openstack, VMWare on UCS
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Contribute to the Company vision of being the industry leader in customer service through quality, commitment, courtesy and teamwork.
- Responsible for leading testing, evaluation, integration and configuration of Charter ACCESS platforms.
- Act as a technical leader for all testing and configuration activities.
- Ability to accomplish activities related to system design, equipment configuration and installation, integration, testing and service validation prior to commercial deployment.
- Develop documentation related to design and proper configuration of system components.
- Troubleshoot and analyze transport, networking and software configurations.
- Has ability to transfer knowledge to division and field engineering personnel as necessary to insure the timely deployment of new technology.
- Represent Charter business interests in a wide variety of settings and relationships including company management, business partners, and equipment vendors.
- Be a contributor for Charter Business offerings such as RIP, MIR, BSOD and static IP services.
- In addition contribute to SW development and TR-069 technologies including defining Charter specifications for CPE WAN Management Protocol (CWMP).
- Define Charter custom models between customer-premises equipment (CPE) and Auto Configuration Servers (ACS).
- Position includes standardizing Charter auto configuration and the control of other CPE management functions within an integrated framework.
- This includes design and testing of the growing number of different Internet access devices such as modems, OLT’s, eMTA’s, routers, gateways, set-top boxes, and VoIP-phones for the end-users.
- Contribute to the growth of SDN/NFV in the Access device categories, utilizing NETConf and YANG models.
- Act as highest-level escalation point for customer issues in the enterprise.
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner
Expert knowledge of related industry specifications and standards IEEE, ANSI, Fiber (Multimode, Single mode, UTP, etc.), Bridging, Switching, Routing, Ethernet and Transport technologies and protocols
Expert knowledge in network design, network architecture, protocols and network topology
Expert knowledge in TCP/IP and the OSI Model
Expert knowledge in using ticketing and software tools to support the current operations.
Expert knowledge of network designing software, such as Visio
Ability to perform duties in a very fast pace environment and ability to learn new technology quickly
Ability to use personal computer and software applications
ACCESS Technology Knowledge: DOCSIS 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, DAA, Remote MAC/MAC-Phy, HFC/RF/Optical, i-CMTS, M-CMTS, (E6000, 10K, cBR8, C100G, C40G) CCAP, eCM’s, eMTA’s, Business Services (RIP, Static, MIR, BsOD), PON/FTTx, ePON, OLT’s, (C9516, 7360 FX-4, FSU7100) MAP-T, NAT444, IPv6, NETConf, YANG, Openstack, VMware, VSphere, UCS, TR-069, ACS, CWMP experience
Masters or Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field or related work experience
Related Work Experience
Engineering work experience 5-10 years
Project management work experience 5-10 years
Skills /Abilities and Knowledge
Knowledge of company products and services
More on Spectrum: Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, current unemployment status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. Charter Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Current Unemployment Status.
Spectrum is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Current Unemployment Status.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go