Fiber Technician (N.Manhattan)Apply Now Date posted 05/09/2017 Requisition Number: 195268BR Location: United States - New York - New York City Area of Interest: Engineering/Technical Operations, Telecommunications Position Type: Full Time
- Coordinate fiber maintenance related activities for nodes and Business Class customers fed from the assigned hub with other departments as necessary.
- In coordination with the Construction Fiber Team perform corrective actions to repair any problems affecting fiber or fiber related equipment from the Headend to and through each hub to the node.
- Assure proper alignment of the optical path and RF levels between the Hub and the Node (forward and return setup) including but not limited to transmitters, receivers, monitoring equipment (Pathtrack), QAMs, and CMTS.
- Perform and / or coordinate with other departments all testing of fiber network
- Activate new nodes as required by new build construction or through segmentation work.
- Perform Commercial fiber customer activations, including hub, field and customer premise work.
- Provides onsite repair, installation, and servicing of optic hardware with the ability to identify and resolves product performance problems onsite.
- Performs investigation and repair of cut fiber optic cables, reporting all information concerning damages to management
- Proficient at splicing fiber optic cables with a thorough knowledge of standards, materials and techniques utilizing single and mass fusion splicing equipment
- General knowledge of traditional fiber architectures with some knowledge of CWDM/DWDM
- Perform standby duty/on-call for emergency repairs on a rotating basis.
- Other duties as assigned including support of coaxial plant maintenance as required.
- Frequent local travel
- Must possess a valid driver’s license as well as a good driving record.
- Extensive knowledge of all CATV equipment.
- A Minimum of 2-4 years of Plant Maintenance background or previous fiber optic experience or technical schooling equivalent to meet company requirements.
- Have basic knowledge of fiber optic systems, RF plant, and test equipment.
- Must possess the ability to read and understand manufacture’s manuals for operating and repairing of electronic equipment and components.
- Operate highly specialized test and fiber optic splicing equipment.
- Must be motivated, a self-starter and must work well alone.
High School Diploma or GED.
Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or at least 3-5 years’ Service Tech experience and/or a minimum of at least two years Plant Maintenance experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The physical demands for this position are typical to both an office environment and working outside and must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position involves both field and office work. Must be able to work in various weather conditions, which could be extreme hot or cold conditions.
- Use of mouse, and reading on a computer frequently throughout the work day.
- Communicating by telephone frequently throughout the work day.
- Visually able to use a computer continuously throughout the work day.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 75 pounds.
- Position will also involve sitting, standing, stooping, and/or crawling.
- Ability to operate test equipment, hand tools, power tools. Such as Ohm meter, TDR, signal level meter, cable locator, screwdrivers, pliers, ladders, and two-way radio. May also operate aerial bucket trucks, air compressor and/or hydraulic winch.
- Required to drive company vehicle and may drive for long periods of time. Must maintain a safe driving record.
- Position has extensive contact with construction and technical personnel, including contractors, customers and general public
More on Spectrum: Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, current unemployment status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. Charter Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Current Unemployment Status.
Spectrum is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Current Unemployment Status.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go