Multi-Media Journalist - West Los AngelesApply Now Date posted 06/28/2018 Requisition Number: 216882BR Location: United States - California - El Segundo Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Editorial, Network Television Production, News, Production Position Type: Full Time
What is Spectrum Networks? Spectrum Networks is a growing organization, home of 27 Local News Channels nationwide and 9 Local/Regional Sports Channels, inclusive of 3 Los Angeles based Sports Networks. Spectrum Networks is the news and sports division of Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: CHTR), the leading broadband communications company and the second-largest cable operator in the United States.
The Spectrum News Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour news network that requires employees be flexible and available to work various shifts throughout the day, including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays. The network is currently focused on the morning news, which means your day could start very early, but it also means your workday will end around noon (most days).
Spectrum Networks Employees are passionate and driven, and can thrive in a competitive, fast-paced and fiercely accurate 24-hour news environment. They are creative and/or highly technical with a desire to leverage their knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories that enhance daily living within our local communities. They are nimble and learn quickly, enabling themselves to pivot when new information is acquired within an ever-changing newsroom. They are team players with positive attitudes and strong interpersonal skills. They have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for is a Multi-Media Journalist to research, develop, write, edit, shoot and deliver news stories on deadline. Contribute to special features and stories. Participate in coordinating coverage of major stories, and specials. Major responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Create original news stories; gather information for news stories using beat sources, contacts and leads
- Build contacts and sources within the assigned community
- Report within assigned deadlines
- Deliver news reports, including live reports, demonstrating energy, confidence, professional appearance and voice quality
- Write, shoot, audio mix and edit own news stories, interviews and features for an assigned newscast to tell the story effectively
- Work with assignment desk editors, production staff and independently in the newsgathering process
- Work with a ENG/Photojournalist on occasion
- Manage general upkeep of assigned company equipment
- Responsible for representing channel in a professional manner
- Establish a community presence outside of the newscasts
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Must live or be willing to relocate to West Los Angeles, Ca
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Must have sufficiently strong story development skills to submit original story ideas on a daily basis
- Live shot experience required
- Must be able to develop sources, work a beat, and break stories
- Must have strong on-camera skills
- Must have ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to clearly communicate solutions
- Ability to relate well with diverse populations and age groups
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel
- Ability to handle breaking news on-air
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving
- Must obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license for authorized driving in the State of residence
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field or comparable television work experience preferred; 3+ years news reporting experience.
Spectrum Networks believes every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication, openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn and grow, and an overall positive attitude. Roles may require the following:
- Sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule as a result of changing production, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and loss of staff members
- Participate in an established on-call rotation
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds at varying distances
- Local travel up to X% in company car and may require additional trips
The Spectrum brand is powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, current unemployment status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Charter Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disability
Charter Communications will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable laws, including local ordinances.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go