Operations Manager - Spectrum News BuffaloApply Now Date posted 10/26/2018 Requisition Number: 226313BR Location: United States - New York - Buffalo Zip Code: 14204 Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Network Television Production, News, Operations/General, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Spectrum News Buffalo (Western New York) is available on channels 9, 14 and 200 exclusively on Spectrum for customers in Western New York from Buffalo-Niagara to the Genesee Valley and the Southern Tier serving dozens of towns, villages and cities in an 8-county region. Spectrum News Buffalo provides the Buffalo metropolitan and Western New York area with 24-hour local news, politics, features and weather seven days a week.
Spectrum Networks is looking for enthusiastic, talented and driven individuals to join the best and brightest in gathering, producing and delivering stories that make a difference within a 24-hour breaking news environment! Our commitment is to engage viewers with relevant, timely news that's important to the local communities we serve.
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays. The network is focused on the morning news, which means early mornings, but it also means primarily being off about noon
Being one our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: An enthusiastic leader to provide oversight and direction of day to day operations within Spectrum News Buffalo. We are looking for a collaborative and progressive leader who can drive performance and provide Studio Management and partner with Editorial Leadership on linear and digital platforms.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Foster a culture of innovation and be seen as an extension of the News Room.
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures in all operational areas.
- Troubleshoot processes and equipment, and recommend appropriate solutions.
- Fosters and maintains a positive work atmosphere and training environment.
- Review and respond to issues.
- Organize, coordinate and schedule studio resources.
- Resolve vendor tickets, technical issues and assist engineering/IT with troubleshooting where applicable.
- Assist personnel with production related issues while demonstrating professional behavior, including strong customer service skills.
- Manage expense and overtime budget.
- Implement and maintain quality production values.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances and solve complex problems while demonstrating a positive attitude and positive approach.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership, management in a customer support environment.
- Proven ability to drive operational efficiencies.
- Ability to understand engineering documentation including AutoCAD drawings and system designs.
- Previous experience in multiple distribution platforms, including linear, digital, and OTT.
- Operate and maintain working knowledge of production equipment
- Knowledge of broadcast automation systems, like Dalet Galaxy news environment.
- Excellent Project Management skills.
- Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on a variety of complex topics to leadership team, public groups, or staff.
- Maintain and grow technical job knowledge.
Bachelor’s Degree in Television Production, Broadcast Engineering preferred or equivalent work experience.
Related Work Experience
5 Years Experience in Studio Production required
3 Years Experience in Broadcast News preferred
2 + Years Management experience highly desired
- Normal office environment
- Must be able and willing to work various shifts, longer shifts, weekends and holidays, and be flexible with schedule changes due to "breaking news", severe weather emergencies and technical issues and projects.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
- Sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Dexterity of hands, fingers to operate computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other compute components
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and loss of staff members
- Participate in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go