Production Specialist II - Spectrum News 13 OrlandoApply Now Date posted 01/21/2019 Requisition Number: 229273BR Location: United States - Florida - Orlando Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Engineering/Technical Operations, Network Television Production, News, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays. The network is focused on the morning news, which means early mornings, but it also means primarily being off about noon
Being one our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
The Production Specialist II is responsible for performing duties such as ingest, audio, editing, operating robotic cameras, Technical Director and master control duties as needed. Additionally, this person may perform duties of a Jib Operator and Chyron Operator.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Clearly communicate with all Spectrum Networks personnel internally and externally.
- Operate robotic camera controls.
- Operate audio mixing console.
- Set-up and maintain studio equipment.
- Tune in satellite shots.
- Familiarity with bonded cellular software and user interface.
- Ingest media using remote control software of video servers.
- Coordination of media resources among Spectrum Networks.
- Record feeds using remote control software of video servers.
- Media Management.
- Edit news wheel content using non-linear editing systems.
- Cover master control duties in the absence of a Master Control Operator.
- Commercial break monitoring and manual insertion.
- Monitor on-air product quality and automation system for multiple program streams.
- Coordinate program play out with editorial staff and control room staff.
- Monitor closed captioning on the news channels of accuracy and order live captioning when necessary.
- Cover directing duties in the absence of a Technical Director.
- Direct and technical direct the audio and visual portions of live and recorded content through the use of automated production systems.
- Promote teamwork within a positive work environment.
- Exhibit consistent leadership skills when performing directing duties.
- Have competent understanding/skills related to shot composition, lighting and aesthetics.
- Utilizes camera jip to provide creative and fluid movement of the camera on multi camera news or sports productions.
- Ensure strong creative visual composition and maintain stable framing.
- Creates and displays graphics using a Chyron system.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Management: Must have the ability to organize and manage shifting priorities under tight deadlines and in pressure situations.
- Must have the ability to multi-task and adapt quickly to change.
- Applications: Requires strong technical aptitude and experience with television control room and studio production technology including knowledge/skills with, audio mixers, robotic camera controls, production automation systems, newsroom editorial software, non-linear editing systems, satellite systems, bonded cellular systems, router systems and automated on-air play out systems.
- Familiar with video switchers, character generators, DVE’s and video servers.
- Communication: Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly communicate with all levels within the organization and with external vendors.
- Professional courtesy and respect are vital at all times.
- Consistent ability to use positive language.
- Teamwork: Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative, ability to handle criticism, even temperament and a positive approach to problem solving.
- Must work effectively within a team environment.
- Dependable self-starter who can operate consistently with a high degree of accuracy.
- Strong attention to detail and desire to excel.
- Must be able to work independently without direct supervision.
- Familiar with master control operations and possess technical directing skills.
- Must be able to work under time pressure deadlines and willing and able to work different shifts or longer shifts due to "breaking news" and severe weather emergencies.
- Willing and able to work weekends and holidays.
College degree or technical discipline in television production or related field or comparable work experience.
Related Work Experience
2 to 4 Years Television Production experience preferred
- Semi-noisy office environment
- Lift/push/pull/maneuver equipment up to 50 lbs.
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
- Sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Dexterity of hands, fingers to operate computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other compute components
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and loss of staff members
- Participate in an established on-call rotation
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds at varying distances
- Local travel in company car and may require additional trips
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go