Anchor/Reporter - Spectrum News AlbanyApply Now Date posted 11/27/2019 Requisition Number: 252274BR Location: United States - New York - Albany Area of Interest: News, TV Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Anchor/Reporter is responsible for anchoring assigned newscast and reporting for assigned newscast. Covers news stories on location, developing the facts and background, interviewing, writing, editing, and presenting the story on the air. Contribute to special features and stories. Participate in coordinating coverage of major stories, breaking news and specials.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Report, write and edit news stories on air and online within assigned deadlines
- Splits time between the anchor desk and reporting in the field
- Deliver newscasts with evaluation based poise with authoritative, credible, and conversational voice quality
- Engage as a newsroom leader by delivering news reports, including live reports, demonstrating energy, confidence and professional appearance
- Works with a photographer on assigned stories
- Gather information for original news stories using beat sources, contacts and leads
- Write own news copy for an assigned newscast or news series, and operate teleprompter controls
- Fill-in for other anchor positions
- Strategically engages in social media
- May lead projects or have accountability for ongoing activities or objectives; act as a resource for colleagues with less experience
- Establish a community presence outside of the newscasts
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and obtain results through others
- Strong story development skills to submit original story ideas on a daily basis
- Must be able to develop sources, work a beat, and break stories
- Must have strong on-camera skills with the ability to read narration effectively
- Familiar with editing news videos
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly communicate solutions; ability to relate well with diverse populations and age groups
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
- Emphasis on reporting skills and anchoring skills
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Ad-lib capability and ability to handle breaking news on-air
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field or comparable television work experience preferred
- 5+ years of Television news reporting and anchoring experience, including live shooting
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.