IT Systems Administrator- Spectrum News AlbanyApply Now Date posted 11/14/2018 Requisition Number: 229827BR Location: United States - New York - Albany Zip Code: 12206 Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Engineering/Technical Operations, Network Television Production, News, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Broadcast System I.T. Engineer is responsible for the support of all broadcast I.T. technical facilities, equipment and software applications for local operations, News and Sports, including but not limited to workstations, servers, phones, networks, databases, automation systems, and video and editing equipment used for production and program origination
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide regional and onsite support for broadcast I.T. systems and network infrastructure for 24/7 News/Sports production and Origination
- Diagnose and implement fix agents or develop alternative methods to overcome unexpected technical problems to maintain continuity in on-air broadcast
- Troubleshoots equipment and recommend appropriate solutions including vendor repair, in house repair or equipment replacement
- Documents and maintains equipment maintenance history database and generates status reports for both users and supervisor
- Works with multiple service providers in maintaining station’s WAN connectivity
- Installs and upgrades systems components and software
- Assists the Engineering and Technical Operations team to develop broadcast I.T. systems supporting local sports production when needed
- Ensures adherence to corporate I.T. policies and best practices for Broadcast I.T. infrastructure
- Assists in managing vendors and system integrators in broadcast I.T. System new builds or upgrades
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Technical proficiency in configuration of ASA Firewalls
- Experience in administering Mac, Linux, and Windows systems that includes Windows XP, 7, 10 workstations, Windows 2003/2008/2012 server, and SQL Enterprise server a plus
- Must be familiar with TCP/IP Network topologies, VLANS and Cisco WAN/LAN switches, routers, firewalls, intrusion detection systems (IDS) and network monitoring tools
- Must be able to work independently with limited direct supervision
- Problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and a functional level
- Communication: demonstrated excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills in English with the ability to produce clear and concise written analysis and reports
- Interpersonal: ability to interface with internal company and division personnel at various levels and outside equipment vendors and suppliers; must be able to work with people of diverse backgrounds
- Individual could be asked to be on call
- The individual must be able to travel when needed to support any broadcast IT issues that arise
- Must obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license for authorized driving in the state of residence
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in related discipline or equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience in a Broadcast environment preferred.
- 2-4 years of experience in Information Technology, Management Information Systems or related field
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
- Local travel up to X% in company car and may require additional trips
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go