Master Control Operator - Spectrum News AlbanyApply Now Date posted 09/03/2019 Requisition Number: 248227BR Location: United States - New York - Albany Area of Interest: News, Technical Operations, TV Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Master Control Operator is responsible for the execution of On-Air Transmission(s) and Technical Quality of incoming and outgoing programming. Operate all aspects of Master Control and Audio Operations in a 24 hour news environment for multiple markets.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In Production Control (PCR):
- Mix all Audio sources needed (mics, vo, sots, pkgs, music, etc.)
- Quality Check all Mic and IFB signal prior to live/recorded production
- Set up Studio Sets, prepare all audio needs for talent and guests
- Places all cameras in position for production needs
- Operate Telemetrics Camera Control Panel
- Recall teleprompter scripts and operate if needed
- Relieve Master Control Operator
- Assist Technical Director/Producers in reviewing live/records to meet on-air standards
- Schedule Operators for production and provide training for new staff
- Operate Master Control switcher and all control room devices and integrated systems for multiple markets
- Ensure proper execution of master control tasks including on-air automation for news wheel(s) and commercial playback, along with switching to air, live elements such as traffic or weather reports and breaking news instances
- Providing accurate counts and cues to Traffic, Weather Talent and Control Room producer/directors for on-air reports
- Consistent quality check of transmission and return of on-air product
- Prepare and complete Discrepancy reports when problems occur
- Record product air checks for backup needs and archive purposes
- Cross-Train with Media Manager and Ingest team
- Notify supervisors and support staff when news channel is experiencing technical difficulties
- Must use KRONOS Timekeeper for your timecard and signoff
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to work flexible shifts and schedules as well as overtime when called for by operational need
- Experience with computerized automation and news systems preferred
- Minimum college degree or technical school training preferred
- 1-3 years television master control or production experience preferred, preferably in a news environment
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.