Master Control Operator - Spectrum News AlbanyApply Now Date posted 01/08/2019 Requisition Number: 222862BR Location: United States - New York - Albany Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Engineering/Technical Operations, Network Television Production, News, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Spectrum Networks is looking for enthusiastic, talented and driven individuals to join the best and brightest in gathering, producing and delivering stories that make a difference within a 24-hour breaking news environment! Our commitment is to engage viewers with relevant, timely news that's important to the local communities we serve.
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays. The network is focused on the morning news, which means early mornings, but it also means primarily being off about noon
Being one our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for:
Responsible for the execution of On-Air Transmission(s) and Technical Quality of incoming and outgoing programming. Operate all aspects of Master Control and Audio Operations in a 24 hour news environment for multiple markets.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In Production Control (PCR):
• Mix all Audio sources needed (mics, vo, sots, pkgs, music, etc.).
• Quality Check all Mic and IFB signal prior to live/recorded production.
• Set up Studio Sets, prepare all audio needs for talent and guests.
• Places all cameras in position for production needs.
• Operate Telemetrics Camera Control Panel.
• Recall teleprompter scripts and operate if needed.
• Relieve Master Control Operator.
• Assist Technical Director/Producers in reviewing live/records to meet on-air standards.
• Schedule Operators for production and provide training for new staff.
In Master Control (MCR):
• Operate Master Control switcher and all control room devices and integrated systems for multiple markets.
• Ensure proper execution of master control tasks including on-air automation for news wheel(s) and commercial playback, along with switching to air, live elements such as traffic or weather reports and breaking news instances.
• Providing accurate counts and cues to Traffic, Weather Talent and Control Room producer/directors for on-air reports.
• Consistent quality check of transmission and return of on-air product.
• Prepare and complete Discrepancy reports when problems occur.
• Record product air checks for backup needs and archive purposes.
• Cross-Train with Media Manager and Ingest team.
• Notify supervisors and support staff when news channel is experiencing technical difficulties.
• Must use KRONOS Timekeeper for your timecard and signoff.
• Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Minimum college degree or technical school training preferred.
• 1-3 years television master control or production experience preferred, preferably in a news environment.
• Ability to work flexible shifts and schedules as well as overtime when called for by operational need.
• Experience with computerized automation and news systems preferred.
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
- Sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Dexterity of hands, fingers to operate computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other compute components
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and loss of staff members
- Participate in an established on-call rotation
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds at varying distances
- Local travel in company car and may require additional trips
The Spectrum brand is powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go