News Assistant - Spectrum News AlbanyApply Now Date posted 02/16/2019 Requisition Number: 234443BR Location: United States - New York - Albany Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Network Television Production, News, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The News Assistant is responsible for going out in the field to shoot video and sound bites, to interview and obtain information in order to accurately and thoroughly report a story, and assist the reporters. News Assistants are also responsible for writing and editing stories that are shot in the field. Duties may also include wheel producing, control room producing, and assignment desk responsibilities on a fill in basis.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Shoots appropriate video and sound bites
- Checks equipment and notify ENG of equipment problems
- Conducts interviews
- Gathers information
- Write and edit VOSOT’s
- Determines best way to shoot the story
- Requires traveling to story location
- Driver's License required
- Assists the news truck
- Assists reporters
- Relays information in the field back to the station
- Coordinates with assignment desk and producer
- Logs in information and enters information into computer
- Fill in at the Assignment Desk
- Trains in the field
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Trained to control room produce and wheel produce
- Fill in when needed (full or partial days)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred; major in journalism or communication preferred.
- 1-2 years’ experience in news gathering or related field.
- Must be able to use and have knowledge of common television newsroom computer systems and software, with ability to learn new software systems, including non-linear editing systems.
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go