Multimedia Journalist- Spectrum Networks - Asheville, NCApply Now Date posted 09/12/2020 Requisition Number: 266162BR Location: United States - North Carolina - Asheville Area of Interest: Content Development, News, TV Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for:
What we’re looking for: This Asheville-based Multimedia Journalist will have an interest and understanding of current events and news. The MMJ will be able to function as a Reporter and Photographer, telling stories that are relevant and impactful to audiences across the state.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Create original news stories; gather information for news stories using beat sources, contacts and leads
- Build contacts and sources within the assigned community
- Report within assigned deadlines
- Deliver news reports, including live reports, demonstrating energy, confidence, professional appearance and voice quality
- Write, shoot and edit own news stories for an assigned newscast or news series
- Combine video, audio and graphics to tell the story effectively
- Work with a photographer on occasion
- Manage general upkeep of assigned company equipment
- Responsible for representing channel in a professional manner
- Establish a community presence outside of the newscasts
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skill/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Must have sufficiently strong story development skills to submit original story ideas on a daily basis
- Live shot experience preferred
- Must be able to develop sources, work a beat, and break stories
- Strong on-camera skills
- Must have ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to clearly communicate solutions
- Ability to relate well with diverse populations and age groups
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel
- Ability to handle breaking news on-air preferred
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving
- Must obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license for authorized driving in the State of residence
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, Communications or related field or comparable television work experience preferred.
- 3 Years of Television News Reporting Experience
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The health and safety of our employees and candidates is very important to us. Spectrum has adopted virtual mobile recruiting tools that allow us to continue meeting new candidates. We look forward to “virtually” meeting you.
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.