Graphics Designer - Spectrum News AustinApply Now Date posted 01/02/2019 Requisition Number: 230682BR Location: United States - Texas - Austin Zip Code: 78701 Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Graphics/Design, Network Television Production, News, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: Create graphics including, but not limited to: icons, headshots and full screen images, and maps for the daily needs of the news channel. Build templates for news implementation and create animations for promotions and show elements. Maintain the consistency in the brand when creating graphics for promotions and marketing. Additionally, the Graphic Designer will serve many clients which include promos, live remote, live studio, programming and sales/marketing initiatives.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Update and maintain a consistent creative look on marketing materials for Spectrum Networks
- Design on air graphics, marketing promos, web promotion, outdoor billboards, print ads, news trucks and news graphics
- Adhere to the Spectrum Networks style guide in all co-branded materials
- Manage general upkeep of assigned company equipment
- Maintain efficient filing and back-up procedures for graphics materials
- Create still and/or animated graphics that range from lower thirds, bumpers, and logos
- Utilize correct grammar and spelling in design projects
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and FLASH
- Knowledge of Final Cut Pro and 3D Studio Max (or similar 3D program) a plus
- Knowledge of After Effects
- Experience with Cinema 4D and Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with Maya
- Experience with Chyron
- Must be able to work under daily deadline pressure while demonstrating strong design skills
- Must have ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Must be able and willing to work an extended schedule and be flexible with schedule changes
- Communication: excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly communicate solutions; and able to relate well with diverse populations and age groups
- Interpersonal: ability to interface with internal company personnel
- Attitude: requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving; must enjoy working with people
- Must adhere to attendance guidelines
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
- High school diploma required; Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field or comparable work experience
- 3+ years’ experience of designing for television, print, and web application
- Normal office environment
- Works inside and outside throughout the year and occasional travel required to production sites
- Must be able to work under time pressure deadlines and willing and able to work different shifts or longer shifts due to "breaking news" and severe weather emergencies. Willing and able to work weekends and holidays and in severe weather emergencies, such as hurricanes
- Lifting and carrying up to 5 pounds
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
- Local travel up to X% in company car and may require additional trips
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go