Master Control Operator - Spectrum News AustinApply Now Date posted 01/02/2019 Requisition Number: 231378BR Location: United States - Texas - Austin Zip Code: 78701 Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Engineering/Technical Operations, Network Television Production, News, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: This position will be responsible for the proper execution of master control tasks including feed transmissions, recording, and assisting with the production of all live and breaking news events. Ensures air quality audio for anchors, guests, and live shots.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In Master Control
- Ensures proper execution of master control tasks including supervision of on-air automation systems.
- Cablecasting on-air elements, packages and live shows through Master Control.
- Quality control of in-coming and out-going product.
- Assists in the production of all live and breaking news events.
- Notifies supervisors and support staff when news channel is experiencing technical difficulties.
- Prepares and completes discrepancy reports when problems occur.
- Ensures all air quality audio for anchors, guests, lives shots and phoners.
- Operates robotic cameras.
- Queues music effects.
- Assists Technical Director in digitizing leads and tags.
- Assists Technical Director in reviewing stories to meet editorial guidelines.
- Relieve master control operator.
- Cross train as Technical Direct to provide fill-in coverage as needed.
Education & Experience:
- Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school preferred.
- One to three years of television production experience.
- Must be experienced in live and taped multi-source television production.
- Experience with computerized automation and news systems preferred.
- Flexibility to work shifts and schedules including morning, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Technical Director skills a plus.
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
- Local travel up to X% in company car and may require additional trips
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go