Master Control Operator - Spectrum News AustinApply Now Date posted 01/13/2020 Requisition Number: 253403BR Location: United States - Texas - Austin Area of Interest: News, TV Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Master Control Operator is responsible for monitoring news and/or sports programming streams for quality. This also includes operation of all related equipment, communication between the onsite and field production group and the transmission department. We are currently searching to fill an overnight shift.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitor on-air quality and automation systems for multiple program streams
- Monitor closed captioning on the news channels for accuracy and order live captioning when necessary
- Collaboration with editorial and control room staffs regarding live programming
- Commercial break monitoring and manual insertion
- Media management, segmenting and editing of news and sports programming
- Operate all control room equipment associated with typical master control room
- Work with broadcast systems incorporating logs/playlists to manage content playout
- Oversee Live Production and fixes that roll into the overnight shift
- Conduct shift handoff meetings
- Provide live production support
- Maintains program and break continuity
- Operate on-air branding and news and scoring ticker systems
- Look for opportunities to continually refine workflows, creating new efficiencies and capabilities
- Clearly communicate with personnel internally and externally
- Exhibit excellent customer skills and be attentive to all departments needs
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Time Management: Must have the ability to organize and manage shifting priorities under tight deadlines and in pressure situations
- Must have the ability to multi-task and adapt quickly to change
- Strong technical aptitude and experience with television control room and studio production technology including automated on-air playout systems, newsroom editorial software, non-linear editing systems, microwave/satellite systems, bonded cellular systems and router systems
- Deep knowledge of preferred systems: Dalet, Harmonic, Evertz, RTS, and Chyron
- Advanced knowledge of a variety of broadcast equipment and technology within assigned operating areas, including but not limited to; standard and high definition operations, non-linear edit systems, VTRs, server based recording/playback devices and related software applications, server networking and transfer technologies, broadcast routers, intercom panels, etc.
- Communication: Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly communicate with all levels within the organization and with external vendors
- Teamwork: Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative, ability to handle criticism, even temperament and a positive approach to problem solving. Must work effectively within a team environment. Dependable self-starter who can operate consistently with a high degree of accuracy
- Strong attention to detail and desire to excel. Must also be able to work independently without direct supervision
- Must be able to work under time pressure deadlines, work different or extended shifts and flexible with schedule changes
- Must be willing to work during severe weather emergencies (hurricanes) and/or extended news and sports coverage
- Bachelor’s Degree in technical discipline or equivalent work experience
- 4+ years of experience working in a television news and/or sport environment
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.