News Director - Spectrum News AustinApply Now Date posted 10/08/2019 Requisition Number: 250791BR Location: United States - Texas - Austin Area of Interest: News, TV Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The News Director will provide managerial oversight for daily content strategies for the on-air editorial platform of the assigned news channel. Develops, implements and monitors programs that promote and support Charter’s News goals and objectives, establishing metrics and tools to measure progress.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees day-to-day editorial content strategies for 24-hour local news channel
- Implements long and short term strategies to ensure continuity of content distribution platforms
- Maintains and executes news channel’s internal policies and standards for news gathering
- Acts as a liaison for resource sharing and combined coverage among Spectrum Networks
- Ensures collaboration and promotion of news stories between the linear channel, Digital, Marketing and Creative Services departments
- Critiques newscasts on a daily basis to correct errors, improve coverage, and provide mentoring feedback to news staff
- Participates in the budgeting and forecasting process
- Hires, develops, and mentors News department staff and reviews employee performance for the purpose of salary increases and promotions
- Responds to subpoenas, legal allegations, and answers coverage questions related to legal challenges
- Assists with determining the strategy, planning and execution of projects and initiatives within the department
- Manages continuous improvement cycle and acts as a change agent as opportunities to improve departmental performance are identified
- Ensures that all applicable standards are followed; remains current on industry trends and legal considerations
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and obtain results through others
- Ability to anticipate situations and plan over a one- to two-year time span
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to build relationships and motivate
- Problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and a functional level
- Knowledge of all aspects of local news programming, especially social media
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to produce clear and concise written analysis and reports
- Ability to promote product within the company and throughout the area
- In depth skills with MS Office
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels in the organization
- Ability to think strategically and anticipate future trends, needs and expectations
- Strong business planning and forecasting skills
- Strong analytic, organizational, and problem solving skills
- Ability to analyze data and develop and present data driven reports
- Ability to document, prepare and present executive level presentations
- Must be able and willing to work various shifts, longer shifts, weekends and holidays, and be flexible with schedule changes due to "breaking news", and/or severe weather emergencies
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, communications or related field. Graduate degree preferred
- 8-10 years of news experience
- 5+ years of management experience
- Experience at an affiliate television station or cable station preferred
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.