Internship, Inside Plant - Network EngineeringApply Now Date posted 01/24/2019 Requisition Number: 234651BR Location: United States - Montana - Billings Area of Interest: Engineering/Technical Operations, Information Technology Services, Network Engineering, Telecommunications, Video Position Type: Part Time
It's a great time to join the Network Operations Group at Charter / Spectrum.
Jump in and make your mark on high profile projects and plans. Take advantage of access to our online learning platforms and mentorship programs to grow your skills exponentially.
Network Operations is dedicated to the quality, reliability and integrity of the network systems that allow us to serve our customers. Here you will be working with bright minds that are the power behind the services that Charter / Spectrum provides.
This is a Part-Time position for an intern to assist Inside Plant engineering staff with basic troubleshooting, support and maintenance of network elements and connections required to support Charter / Spectrum revenue generating networks. Work to provide enterprise-wide tiered support on converged distribution and access network elements and connections as needed. This may include installation, operation and break-fix remediation, with root cause analysis of all equipment associated with the Headend facility.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under supervision perform HeadEnd and facility Technical Quality Assurance (TQA) inspections; ensure all cabling, equipment installation, power and cooling is in compliance with TQA standards
- Assist with monitor services for quality delivery assurance.
- Perform analog and digital RF channel level measurement and quality testing.
- Follow “Did I?” checklist and perform daily checks to ensure ISP Equipment functionality.
- Under supervision maintain awareness of network activities affecting local elements.
- Assist with troubleshoot video, communication architectures, topologies, hardware, software, transmission and signaling links and protocols.
- Learn basic set up and operation of headend equipment including but not limited to RF distribution, signal processors, modulators, demodulators, IRD's and IRT's.
- Assist with Ethernet cabling installation - follow proper engineering practices for the preparation, routing and termination of CAT 5 and/or CAT 6 cabling.
- Under supervision install fiber cabling - follow proper engineering practices for the preparation, routing and termination of various types of fiber connectors in both multi-mode and single mode applications.
- Assist with installation and alignment of various types of off-air antennas for VHF and UHF television and radio reception.
- Work on projects / systems / issues of basic to moderate complexity surrounding network planning, configuration and optimization.
- Utilize ISP Workforce management tools
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor.
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited College or University completing a Bachelors Degree in Engineering or related field, or Associate Technical vocational program at an accredited school.
- Must have at least a 3.0 GPA or greater in current program
- Knowledge of basic mathematics, electronics, and Critical Systems (Generators, Uninterruptable Power Supplies, DC Plant, Valve Regulated Lead Acid Batteries, Critical Cooling Systems, Fire Suppression, Monitoring Systems)
- Some knowledge of RF and IP technologies, Video Networking, IP and DOCSIS and HFC design
- Able to work with small components and wires to make cable connections.
- Use the following hand tools: electric drills, hammers, wrenches & screwdrivers
- Ability to safely use weight-bearing equipment (such as ladders) within the maximum limitations of that equipment.
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go