Operations Technician - Spectrum News BuffaloApply Now Date posted 05/13/2019 Requisition Number: 239466BR Location: United States - New York - Buffalo Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Network Television Production, News, Operations/General, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Operations Technician is responsible for learning and becoming proficient in a variety of technical roles, primarily, but not limited to studio technician and field technician.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As a Studio Technician:
- Operate microphones, audio boards, sound systems, video monitors, recording systems, lighting systems and switchers
- Maintenance and preventative maintenance of studios
- Works with the regional control room to set up and test remote studio productions. Reports deficiencies to Engineering
- Facilitate live productions
- Facilitate in studio guests
- Edit broadcast material electronically using computers
- Set-up, operate and maintain broadcast station computers and networks
- Report equipment problems, ensure that repairs are made and making emergency repairs to equipment when necessary and possible
- Install broadcast equipment, troubleshoot equipment problems and perform maintenance on or minor repairs using hand tools
- Edit broadcast material electronically using computers
- Set up and operate field transmission equipment outside the studio
- Operates Dejero and camera
- Maintains communication with assignment desk, master control and reporters via cell phones
- Participates in Field productions. To include but not limited to set up, tear down and production assignments
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to hear and speak since both written and verbal communication are required on a regular basis
- Ability to work under time pressure deadlines, strong computer skills and willingness to work unscheduled hours which may include evenings and weekends
- Must have or develop functional to advanced knowledge of various studio and remote telecasting equipment
- Must have or develop functional knowledge of common television newsgathering equipment including cameras, tripods, microphones, lighting and other field equipment
- Ability to operate news video editing systems, with functional knowledge of non-linear and/or desktop-based editing systems
- Must be able to function under considerable levels of stress and be able to manage multiple tasks
- Must be able to maintain amicable working relationships with co-workers, management and the public
- Must be able to use hands to finger, handle or feel, push and pull, reach with hands and arms and computer keyboard and mouse will be used continuously throughout the work day
- Must have ability to recall, remember and maintain mental focus
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- Must be visually able to use a computer continuously throughout the work day
- Must be willing to travel by ground or air
- Valid Driver’s License
- College degree in communications or related field preferred, or in the process of pursuing a degree in communications or related field
- Functional knowledge of television news operations; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go