iSeries - Systems Engineer IIIApply Now Date posted 08/13/2019 Requisition Number: 244138BR Location: United States - North Carolina - Charlotte Area of Interest: Information Technology Services Position Type: Full Time
Responsible for assisting design, development, and implementation of enterprise-wide ISeries system layers and AS400 applications and their associated operating systems and databases. Participation in full life-cycle of systems engineering activities of high-quality, scalable solutions.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience
- Provide leadership, guidance and support in the development of progress at all iSeries system layers, including iSeries application data, processing, and front-end systems for iSeries environment supporting AS400 applications.
- Coordinates with internal departments to review existing integration capabilities, data sources, and proposed solution designs for feasibility, cost and functionality
- Conducts design sessions with appropriate participation from architects and engineers
- Creates detailed design documents and functional specifications for new applications / services and for enhancements to existing systems / services
- Collaborates to creates configuration designs for design and implementation of various environments
- Creates work effort estimates for new features and bug fixes for use in prioritization and release management
- Develops core code modules, unit test tools and release notes for enhancements and bug fixes
- Reviews new development tools, application frameworks and testing tools for functionality / effectiveness
- Installs, administers, configures and maintains OSS applications including operating systems and related software
- Provides 'on call' support to resolve OSS application issues after normal business hours
- Uses established change management processes, requiring operational procedures be performed with minimal customer impact, (i.e. during established maintenance window)
- Works with database administrators to configure, tune and maintain databases in variety of languages
- Documents systems configurations and upgrades
- Designs and implements change and control policies and disaster recovery plans; lead troubleshooting efforts to restore functionality in the event of an outage
- Monitors and assists in managing applications, device availability, network conditions and status, system reliability and performance, service and program maintenance and storage resources
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner
- Able to identify iSeries needs, draw up a plan of how to implement the need and then be able to execute the plan
- Extensive experience with performance tuning and troubleshooting on the iSeries platform using tools like Performance Navigator and iDoctor
- Experience with Mimix/Vision Solutions replication
- Experience with Backup and Recovery methods and solutions
- Advanced ability to conduct design sessions to specify solution designs for feasibility, cost, and functionality
- Advanced ability to create detailed documentation to functionally understand new and existing applications
- Advanced ability to follow and implement established change and control policies and procedures
- Advanced ability to troubleshoot application problems
- In-depth knowledge of development tools, application frameworks, and testing tools.
- In-depth knowledge of OSS applications and software
- In-depth knowledge of choosing the appropriate lifecycle and the planning, monitoring and control of the systems engineering process
- Strong ability to transform an operational need into a description of system parameters and incorporate those parameters in the control of the total system development to achieve an optimum, cost-effective balance of all system elements
- Advanced knowledge of the iSeries Power Administration skillset, including Performance Tuning, External Storage and Hypervisor.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
Related Work Experience
5 plus years Application Development work experience
4 plus years Network OSS application work experience
3 plus years System Administration work experience
3 plus years Database support and development work experience
3 plus years Enterprise Application Integration work experience
Related Work Experience
7 plus years Application Development work experience
5 plus years System Administration work experience
5 plus years Database support and development work experience
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.