Producer - Spectrum News CharlotteApply Now Date posted 05/12/2019 Requisition Number: 240860BR Location: United States - North Carolina - Charlotte Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Network Television Production, News, Production, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Producer is responsible for producing creative and original content for assigned shows and newscast. Contribute to special features and stories. Coordinate coverage of major stories, breaking news and specials.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience
- Develop creative and original content for assigned newscasts and news inserts making decisions on story lineup, video/audio elements, graphics and timing to construct show
- Write creative and original news stories for an assigned newscasts. Ensure content is factually correct and written in a clear and concise conversational style
- Ensure stories are written to the pictures being edited and/or vice versa
- Produce live or recorded newscasts
- Work with and guide associate producers to create the newscast product
- Produce special programming as needed
- Work offsite/in the field as needed
- Conduct pre-interviews and on-camera interviews as needed
- Ensure meeting and managing deadlines
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Strong broadcast news writing ability, including tease writing
- Strong attention to detail
- Solid news judgement and passion for news
- Knowledge of current events and industry trends
- Familiarity with the local market
- Knowledge of social media platforms
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline
- Working knowledge of general office computer software, newsroom software and basic non-linear editing systems preferred
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and interact with all personnel within the organization
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and ability to clearly communicate solutions
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, Communications or related field or comparable television work experience preferred
- 3+ years of Television news experience
- Line producing experience
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go