Systems Engineer IApply Now Date posted 12/04/2018 Requisition Number: 230626BR Location: United States - North Carolina - Charlotte Zip Code: 28217 Area of Interest: Information Technology Services Position Type: Full Time
Responsible for assisting design, development, and implementation of enterprise-wide Operations Support Systems (OSS) applications and their associated operating systems and databases. Responsible for Application Administration of OSS applications supporting all Charter Divisions. Participation in full life-cycle of systems engineering activities of high-quality, scalable solutions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience
- Contributes to design sessions with OSS Architects, Requirements Analysts, IT Operations and OSS system Engineers
- Concentrated knowledge in one of the two following operating system classes:
- Installs, administers, configures and maintains OSS applications including operating systems such as Linux, RHEL 6.x or 7.x, AIX, or Solaris and related software such as PowerBroker, editing configuration files of NetBackup and other packages and knowledge of VMWare guest creation and management
- Installs, administers, configures and maintains OSS applications including operating systems such as Windows 2012 R2 or Windows 2016 and related roles and features such as failover clustering.
- Partners with data center, networking, storage and other teams to deliver fully functional and properly configured physical servers
- Provides 'on call' support to resolve OSS application issues after normal business hours
- Uses established change management processes, requiring operational procedures be performed with minimal customer impact, (i.e. during established maintenance window)
- Works with database administrators to configure, tune and maintain databases in variety of languages
- Documents systems configurations and upgrades
- Monitors and assists in managing applications, device availability, network conditions and status, system reliability and performance, service and program maintenance and storage resources
- Works with current templates and assist with the design and construct new templates
- Works with deployment and core service engineers to determine needs
- Sets up filters on data generated by monitors
- Generates reports on server and application availability and performance
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner.
- Foundational knowledge in Active Directory, DNS, Telnet, local system group membership management, and installation of backup, monitoring, anti-virus and other agents to maintain system stability
- Basic knowledge and proficiency in scripting languages such as BASH or Python is expected for Linux associates and basic proficiency in PowerShell for Windows skilled associates
- Basic ability to conduct design sessions to specify solution designs for feasibility, cost, and functionality.
- Basic ability to create detailed documentation to functionally understand new and existing applications.
- Basic ability to follow and implement established change and control policies and procedures.
- Basic ability to troubleshoot application problems.
- Basic knowledge of development tools, application frameworks, and testing tools.
- Basic knowledge of OSS applications and software.
- Basic knowledge of choosing the appropriate lifecycle and the planning, monitoring and control of the systems engineering process.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
Related Work Experience
1 - 2 years System administration experience (UNIX & Netcool)
1 - 2 years Database support experience
1 - 2 years Enterprise Application experience
Related Work Experience
3 plus years System administration experience (UNIX & Netcool)
3 plus years Database support experience
3 plus years Enterprise Application experience
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go