Executive Producer - Spectrum News ClevelandApply Now Date posted 08/13/2019 Requisition Number: 246445BR Location: United States - Ohio - Cleveland Area of Interest: News, Production, TV Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Executive Producer will provide managerial oversight for editorial content across multiple platforms during an assigned shift. Includes scripts for special content, politics and breaking news. This may relate to important daily news coverage, franchise, feature, or special event coverage and documentaries.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervisory responsibilities for newsroom staff and station personnel working on newscasts with particular emphasis on Producers, Associate Producers, Reporters, Multi-media Journalists, and News Photographers, ensuring the department’s staffing and assignment needs are met
- Solve the challenges that come with dynamic news coverage
- Develop backups for critical coverage
- Oversee decisions on story lineup, video/audio elements, graphics and timing to construct a show
- Work with Producers to create the newscast product
- May fill in for Producers as needed
- Produce special programming as needed
- Perform writing, editing and digitizing functions as needed
- Generate story and coverage ideas on a daily and long-term basis
- Handles shift scheduling and approves paid time off when applicable
- Follow through on all assignments meeting required deadlines
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Proficient at inspiring staff to attain station goals of creativity, urgency and accuracy
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and interact with all personnel within the organization
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Must be able to work rapidly and accurately
- Ability to anticipate situations, meet strict deadlines, organize and manage multiple priorities
- Knowledge of current events and industry trends
- Pro-active with demonstrated enthusiasm in dealing with breaking news and high-stress situations
- Ability to effectively train others
- Basic editing skills
- Must adhere to attendance guidelines
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
- Working knowledge of general office computer software, newsroom software and basic non-linear editing systems preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism or related field preferred or comparable television work experience
- 5+ years of Producing and executive producing experience in television news
- 2+ years of Management experience
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.