MeteorologistApply Now Date posted 07/10/2018 Requisition Number: 219278BR Location: United States - Ohio - Columbus Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Editorial, Network Television Production, News, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
JOIN OUR JOURNEY IF…
You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
A Spectrum Networks Meteorologist anchors and forecasts daily weather segments. Presents current and upcoming weather using radar maps and other visual aids.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares and delivers daily weather segments with evaluation based on poise; voice quality which is authoritative, credible, and conversational; ad-lib capability, and ability to handle on-air problems
- Gathers and accurately interprets meteorological information
- Operates and utilizes multiple computer graphics systems to present weather information
- Produces weather products for partner newspapers and radio stations
- Makes public appearances on behalf of station acting as an ambassador for the company
- Coordinates with news department when weather conditions produce news coverage scenarios
- Adeptly covers live severe weather coverage under extremely dynamic high pressure situations
- Experienced and adept with the latest knowledge needed in operating, interpreting and explaining data from live, station owned, Baron’s radar
- Must attain and maintain professional appearance determined by department head
- Perform other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology required
National Weather Association (NWA) and/or the AMS Certified Broadcast Meteorologist (CBM) seal preferred but not required
- 2+ years Experience forecasting and presenting weathercasts
- Knowledge of synoptic meteorology, tropical, and radar meteorology
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate within Spectrum Networks
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and interact with all personnel within the organization
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills in English
- Attention to detail
- Must be able to work rapidly and accurately
- Ability to anticipate situations, meet strict deadlines, organize and manage multiple priorities
- Demonstrated enthusiasm in dealing with breaking weather news and high-stress situations
- Working knowledge of TV weather graphics systems required. Working knowledge of: general office computer software, newsroom software and basic non-linear editing systems a plus
- Must have exceptional on-camera skills
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
- Works inside a climate controlled environment throughout the year but might be assigned to field duties on occasion
- Works in an open newsroom setting with a semi-noisy environment
- Communicates in person, by phone and by email
- Must be able to work under time pressure deadlines and willing and able to work different shifts or longer shifts due to "breaking news" and severe weather emergencies. Willing and able to work weekends and holidays
- Materials and equipment used: various studio, weather forecasting and newsgathering television equipment, computers and computer-related equipment
- May be required to lift up to 5 pounds
The Spectrum brand is powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Charter Communications will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable laws, including local ordinances.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go