News DirectorApply Now Date posted 07/11/2018 Requisition Number: 220449BR Location: United States - Ohio - Columbus Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Network Television Production, News, Production Position Type: Full Time
Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
JOIN OUR JOURNEY IF…
You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
A Spectrum Networks News Director is responsible for managerial oversight of daily content strategies for the on-air editorial platform of the assigned news channel(s). Develops, implements and monitors programs that promote and support Charter’s News goals and objectives, establishing metrics and tools to measure progress.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Overseeing day-to-day editorial content strategies for 24-hour local news channel (s)
• Implements long and short term strategies to ensure continuity of content distribution platforms
• Maintains and executes news channel’s internal policies and standards for news gathering
• Acts as a liaison for resource sharing and combined coverage among Spectrum Networks
• Ensures collaboration and promotion of news stories between the linear channel, Digital, Marketing and Creative Services departments
• Critiques newscasts on a daily basis to correct errors, improve coverage, and provide mentoring feedback to news staff
• Participates in the budgeting and forecasting process
• Hires, develops, and mentors News department staff and reviews employee performance for the purpose of salary increases and promotions
• Responds to subpoenas, legal allegations, and answers coverage questions related to legal challenges
• Assists with determining the strategy, planning and execution of projects and initiatives within the department
• Manages continuous improvement cycle and acts as a change agent as opportunities to improve departmental performance are identified.
• Ensures that all applicable standards are followed; remains current on industry trends and legal considerations
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Ability to anticipate situations and plan over a one- to two-year time span
• Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
• Ability to build relationships and motivate
• Problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and a functional level
• Knowledge of all aspects of local news programming, especially social media
• Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to produce clear and concise written analysis and reports
• Ability to promote product within the company and throughout the area
• In depth skills with MS Office
• Ability to communicate effectively with all levels in the organization
• Ability to think strategically and anticipate future trends, needs and expectations
• Strong business planning and forecasting skills
• Strong analytic, organizational, and problem solving skills
• Ability to analyze data and develop and present data driven reports
• Ability to document, prepare and present executive level presentations
• Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
• Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, management or related field; Master’s preferred
• 8+ years News experience; 5+ years management experience; Experience at an affiliate television station or cable station preferred
The Spectrum brand is powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Charter Communications will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable laws, including local ordinances.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go