Inside Plant (ISP) Engineer I
DeFuniak Springs, Florida
Spectrum’s growth and success in the ever-evolving technological landscape are built on the sophisticated innovations and service reliability our Network Operations groups provide. Inside Plant (ISP) operates in the space where cutting-edge technology meets impeccable customer support. As liaisons between hardware and network, ISP working groups handle the concrete and the abstract, maintaining connections at headends, hubs, and network facilities to enable smooth, continuous data flow. As troubleshooting specialists, ISP implements support solutions for internal and external customers with diplomacy and expertise.
- Full Time
- Job Level: Mid to Senior
- Travel: Frequent, Local
What makes you successful in Inside Plant?
Check out our top traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solving
- Detail Oriented
- Team Player
Job FunctionDate posted 10/16/2019 Requisition Number: 251191BR Location: United States - Florida - DeFuniak Springs Area of Interest: Engineering, Field Operations, Network Operations, Technical Operations Position Type: Full Time
Assist ISP personnel with troubleshooting, support and maintenance of network elements and connections required to support Charter's revenue generating networks. Work to provide enterprise-wide tiered support on converged distribution and access network elements and connections as needed. May provide support for moderate services and other products.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under moderate supervision, responsible for the delivery of high quality off-air, satellite, microwave, and digital transport programming up to the outside plant (point of demarcation from ISP facilities) utilizing, maintaining and installing a variety of optical and electrical interfaces including but not limited to coaxial cable, microwave, fiber optic transmission, CAT 6 to name a few typical technologies. This includes the installation, construction, operation and break-fix remediation, with root cause analysis of all equipment associated with the Headend (HE), Hubs.
- Transact HE and facility Technical Quality Assurance (TQA) inspections; Ensure all cabling, equipment installation, power and cooling is in compliance with corporate TQA standards. Implement approved methods of procedure.
- Troubleshoot communication architectures, topologies, hardware, software, transmission and signaling links and protocols.
- Setup and operate legacy headend equipment including but not limited to signal processors, modulators, demodulators, IRD's and IRT's
- Responsible to analog and digital channel level measurement and quality testing along with periodically testing of equipment and quality of signal throughout the network.
- Install, maintain, and perform testing and required documentation of emergency alert systems.
- Implement and properly document with guidance all required Charter Engineering and FCC mandated PoP testing.
- Maintain required logs, records and other documentation in compliance with company and FCC (Federal Communications Commission) technical requirements.
- Support and maintain protocol compatibility standards, develops and implements network enhancements.
- Work on projects / systems / issues of moderate to medium complexity surrounding network planning, configuration and optimization.
- Work on one or more projects as a project team member, occasionally as a project team lead.
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Execute network problem resolution and all required HE Proof of Performance Tests as needed. Also perform all daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly testing and logging as outlined by ISP Playbook.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, and/or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum four (4) years Headend Technician or electronics / network implementation experience.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License and safe driving record.
- Must be able to work the following schedule: Monday thru Friday, 8AM to 5PM
- Valid Certifications from the Society of Cable Telecommunication Engineers (SCTE) BTS (Broadband Transport Specialist) & BDS (Broadband Distribution Specialist).
- Advanced knowledge of RF and IP technologies, HFC design, as well as optical test equipment (such as OTDR, Optical Spectrum Analyzer, Fiber Light Identifier, Optical Fiber Scope and Optical Power Meter).
- Fundamental knowledge of Video Networking, IP and DOCSIS.
- Expertise to differentiate between different sizes and colors of wires and to make cable connections in tight spaces by bending, reaching, twisting as well as work with small components and wires to make cable connections.
- Capability to safely use weight-bearing equipment (such as ladders) within the maximum limitations of that equipment).
- Competency to accurately measure distances, using tapes or other measuring devices and to read general system layouts from blue prints and system maps.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Work in a 24x7, fast paced environment; work indoors in confined space, poorly ventilated areas.
- Proficiency to walk over all types of terrain in all kinds of weather while carrying tools and equipment, including ladders and fully loaded tool belts
- Capable to perform duties from high places (roofs); ability to work while standing 50-70% of the time; work and travel in inclement weather; work performed near power facilities and electricity.
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
I’ve been in ISP for more than 20 years in varying positions, most recently being promoted to Manager in 2018. The most compelling reasons I like working for Spectrum are the culture and the always evolving technology advancements. We’re all exposed to customers and coworkers from diverse educational, military, functional, and technical backgrounds, as well as participating on diverse projects with different specifications and timelines. My job is never boring and I enjoy coming to work every day. I choose to work at Spectrum because they allow me to develop as an employee and to achieve my goals, both personally and professionally. In my time at Spectrum, I’ve had the opportunity to work with, and for, some of the best and most talented people, who keep me motivated and are always willing to help others succeed.Vincent, ISP Manager
INSIDE NETWORK OPERATIONS
Read about our growing collaborative Network Operations teams.
THIS IS SPECTRUM
Learn about our 98,000 employees, products and services, and advertising solutions offered to 28 million customers in 41 states.
OPPORTUNITY AND INNOVATION
Find a career in advanced technology here.
Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision plans available.
Paid Time Off
Paid vacation, sick and personal time, and holidays.
401(k) Retirement Savings
We provide a 100% match for every dollar you contribute, up to 6% of your eligible pay.
We support continuing education for personal and professional growth.
Advancement is a very real and achievable goal.
Training and Certification
Sponsored courses help enhance your skills.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.