Manager of Inside Plant (ISP)
El Paso, Texas
Spectrum’s growth and success in the ever-evolving technological landscape are built on the sophisticated innovations and service reliability our Network Operations groups provide. Inside Plant (ISP) operates in the space where cutting-edge technology meets impeccable customer support. As liaisons between hardware and network, ISP working groups handle the concrete and the abstract, maintaining connections at headends, hubs, and network facilities to enable smooth, continuous data flow. As troubleshooting specialists, ISP implements support solutions for internal and external customers with diplomacy and expertise.
- Full Time
- Job Level: Mid to Senior
- Travel: Frequent, Local
What makes you successful in Inside Plant?
Check out our top traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solving
- Detail Oriented
- Team Player
Job FunctionDate posted 08/13/2019 Requisition Number: 247128BR Location: United States - Texas - El Paso Area of Interest: Engineering, Field Operations, Network Operations, Technical Operations Position Type: Full Time
Manage all associated Inside Plant activities. Manage staff responsible for the reception, and distribution of off-air, satellite, microwave, and digital transport programming up to the outside plant utilizing coaxial cable, microwave, and fiber optic transmission technologies. This includes the installation, construction, operation and repair of all equipment associated with the HE, Hubs and Optical Transport Network (OTN). Provide direction on day-to-day activities. .
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage staff responsible for the reception, and distribution of off-air, satellite, microwave, and digital transport programming up to the outside plant utilizing coaxial cable, microwave, and fiber optic transmission technologies.
- Develop an effective Inside Plant Operations team and assist them with developing their skills and process adherence as to drive a high performance culture and environment
- Responsible for the hiring, firing, training, development, and performance management of staff.
- Ensure all cabling, equipment installation, power and cooling is in compliance with corporate TQA standards
- Ensure field compliance with corporate standards, as well as Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations
- Assist in the budgeting processes.
- Ensure ongoing training for technical personnel
- Establish positive employee relations through effective communication and ongoing support
- Participate in assembling capital budget needs
- Notify senior management of activities and issues
- Handle and resolve difficult issues
- Set priorities for leads and participate in the review of performance of staff
- Ensure all required logs, records and other documentation are in compliance with company and FCC technical requirements
- Manage on-call rotation as necessary
- Perform other duties as requested by manager
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, and / or equivalent work experience
- Minimum eight (8) years HeadEnd Engineer, cable technician or Telecom work experience
- Minimum four (4) years Network Engineering experience
- Minimum four (4) years Management / supervisory experience
- Minimum two (2) years Project Management experience
- Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License and safe driving record.
- NCTI Master Technician Certification or SCTE, BDS, BTS, BTCS Certifications, CCNA, CCDA
- Individual has gained pertinent vendor certifications to bolster his or her effectiveness, such as: HVAC (Liebert, Trane, etc.), UPS / Inverter Vendor Certifications (Liebert, Alpha, etc.), Transport Vendor Certifications and Training (Aurora, Cisco, ARRIS, etc.)
- Must be able to differentiate between different sizes and colors of wires and to make cable connections in tight spaces by bending, reaching, twisting.
- Should be able to read general system layouts from blue prints and system maps.
- In-depth proficiency of designing, installing and maintaining critical facility systems and service delivery equipment for all products.
- Ability to walk over all types of terrain in all kinds of weather while carrying tools and equipment, including ladders and fully loaded tool belts.
- Knowledge of National Electric Code and National Electric Safety Code.
- In-depth understanding of and demonstrated ability to teach advanced video networking, IP networking and DOCSIS.
- Work in a 24x7, fast paced environment.
- Work indoors in confined space, poorly ventilated areas such as attics, basements and/or crawlspaces
- Work and travel in inclement weather.
- Work performed near power facilities and electricity
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
I’ve been in ISP for more than 20 years in varying positions, most recently being promoted to Manager in 2018. The most compelling reasons I like working for Spectrum are the culture and the always evolving technology advancements. We’re all exposed to customers and coworkers from diverse educational, military, functional, and technical backgrounds, as well as participating on diverse projects with different specifications and timelines. My job is never boring and I enjoy coming to work every day. I choose to work at Spectrum because they allow me to develop as an employee and to achieve my goals, both personally and professionally. In my time at Spectrum, I’ve had the opportunity to work with, and for, some of the best and most talented people, who keep me motivated and are always willing to help others succeed.Vincent, ISP Manager
INSIDE NETWORK OPERATIONS
Read about our growing collaborative Network Operations teams.
THIS IS SPECTRUM
Learn more about our 95,000 employees, range of products and services, and advertising solutions available to 26 million customers in 41 states.
OPPORTUNITY AND INNOVATION
Find a career in advanced technology here.
Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision plans available.
Paid Time Off
Paid vacation, sick and personal time, and holidays.
401(k) Retirement Savings
We provide a 100% match for every dollar you contribute, up to 6% of your eligible pay.
We support continuing education for personal and professional growth.
Advancement is a very real and achievable goal.
Training and Certification
Sponsored courses help enhance your skills.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.