Digital Associate ProducerApply Now Date posted 03/25/2020 Requisition Number: 261167BR Location: United States - California - El Segundo Area of Interest: Communications, Content Development, News, Production Position Type: Full Time
What is Spectrum Networks: Spectrum Networks is a growing organization, home of 27 Local News Channels nationwide and 9 Local/Regional Sports Channels, inclusive of 3 Los Angeles based Sports Networks. Spectrum Networks is the news and sports division of Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: CHTR), the leading broadband communications company and the second-largest cable operator in the United States.
The Spectrum News Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour news network that requires employees to be flexible and available to work various shifts throughout the day, including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays. The network is currently focused on the morning news, which means your day will start in the middle of the night, but it also means your workday will end around noon (most days).
Spectrum Networks employees are passionate and driven, and can thrive in a competitive, fast-paced and fiercely accurate 24-hour breaking news environment. They are creative and/or highly technical with a desire to leverage their knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories that enhance daily living within our local communities. They are nimble and learn quickly, enabling themselves to pivot when new information is acquired within an ever-changing newsroom. They are team players with positive attitudes and strong interpersonal skills. They have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for:
The Digital Associate Producer is responsible for producing innovative news content for non-linear platforms across the Spectrum Networks footprint. Contribute to news stories and facilitate execution in a deadline driven environment that embraces creativity.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Write, copyedit, and prioritize enterprise and breaking news content under the direction of the Digital Executive Producer
- Take an active role in adapting Spectrum News 1 content effectively for digital platforms, including content from news and original programming shows about Southern California
- Work in a newsroom with the local digital team in El Segundo
- Work collaboratively with news producers and assignment editors to aggressively pursue new, interesting, developing stories and use news judgment to effectively prioritize when and how they are presented across all digital platforms
- Collaborate with news reporting staff on presentation of their stories on the website and social media, utilizing best practices
- Apply SEO techniques to increase visibility of content
- Participate in news editorial meetings to provide story ideas and digital content suggestions
- Interact with followers on the network’s social media accounts and grow the audience
- Work collaboratively with the local digital team and other members of the digital team across the Spectrum Networks footprint on items including editorial projects and network initiatives
- When assigned, work with other departments on initiatives that require content integration
- Work with various programs, including Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premiere to produce high quality digital elements to accompany news content
- Stay familiar with trends within the industry to support creative direction
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak, and understand English
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with news editorial, creative, and administrative personnel
- Strong writing and editing skills including knowledge and adherence to AP style
- Must be technically savvy and have excellent computer skills and internet search techniques
- Knowledge of best practices on professional journalism social media accounts
- Must be able to work on multiple tasks simultaneously and in a deadline driven environment
- Must have strong news judgment and play an active role in news gathering
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Familiarity with internet publishing workflow, including experience with a content management system, image editing software, video editing tools, and social media platforms
- Ability to tell engaging stories in the digital space by adding video assets, photos, social posts, etc.
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts, including weekends and holidays, and be flexible with schedule changes
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s or graduate degree in Journalism, Communications, or comparable work experience in a related field
- 2+ years of experience in online journalism preferred
- Spectrum Networks believes every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication, openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn and grow, and an overall positive attitude. Roles may require the following:
- Sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time.
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines.
- Varying schedule as a result of changing production, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements.
- Dexterity of hands, fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other compute components.
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and loss of staff members.
- Participate in an established on-call rotation.
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.