Documentarian (Sports) - Spectrum NetworksApply Now Date posted 12/10/2019 Requisition Number: 254080BR Location: United States - California - El Segundo Area of Interest: Production, Sports News, TV Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a growing organization, home of 27 Local News Channels nationwide and 9 Local/Regional Sports Channels, inclusive of 3 Los Angeles based Sports Networks. Spectrum Networks is the news and sports division of Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: CHTR), the leading broadband communications company and the second-largest cable operator in the United States.
The Environment: Spectrum Sports employs the industries best sports TV makers and technological innovators. Employees are required to be flexible and available to work various shifts throughout the day, including mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays as we strives to connect viewers to their home teams. Spectrum Sports broadcast live sporting events for various professional, collegiate and high school sports teams most notably the Lakers, Dodgers, Galaxy, Sparks, WCC and CIF State Championships in the Los Angeles area.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: Spectrum Networks currently seeks a Producer/Shooter Documentarian for the “Original Programming”, including the “Backstage” series on the Spectrum Sports Networks. Below please find a brief description of the essential duties and responsibilities required to function successfully in this position.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Shooting, lighting, producing, audio mixing, & editing media events, interviews, features, and post-game video
- Developing story & content ideas – and executing these into segments for the show by constructing shots, documentary-style scenes, and asking interview questions
- Multi-tasking as both a Producer and Shooter simultaneously in the field when needed; and/or working with and overseeing other videographers or producers to execute the shoot
- Working with others to serve as one of the essential producers of the show from idea phase to airing
- Demonstrate creative proficiency to create and execute high level editing and knowledge using Adobe Premiere and edit and/or manage media both in studio and in the field
- Operating all assigned equipment properly, efficiently, and with proper care with little or no supervision in the field
- Other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- An exceptional producer/shooter with leadership and organizational skills to shoot while overseeing all of the needs of the OP and Operations department and work well and closely with all other areas of the organization
- Knowledge of media production, communication and dissemination techniques
- Hands-on experience with video cameras packages required. Experience with the following equipment required: DSLR or equivalent, Sony XDCAM or equivalent, GoPro or equivalent, large sensor cameras, broadcast, and cine & prime lenses
- Familiarity with wired and wireless microphones, audio mixers, IFB systems and sound boards
- Familiarity working with Dalet encouraged
- Experience with Adobe Premiere both in the studio and on the road (on laptop) is required
- Edit acquired footage in a manner consistent with the project and/or network for which it is being created
- Additional knowledge of Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, and Premiere plug-in and filter packages a strong plus
- Knowledge of Los Angeles community is a must and knowledge of LA sports teams is encouraged
- Being a self-starter who can pitch ideas, think creatively, and embrace a collaborative environment
- Being able to create and tell a great story in the form of a TV segment and/or feature
- Must communicate shoot notes accurately and efficiently with those back in the studio
- Must be able to work collaboratively with coordinating producers and other project producers
- College diploma or university degree in the field of Communications, Broadcasting, Radio/TV/Film, Engineering and/or 5 years equivalent work experience
- Travel will be required. The amount of travel is based upon project need. Must have valid passport
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.