Engineer, Transmission OperationsApply Now Date posted 01/16/2019 Requisition Number: 231718BR Location: United States - California - El Segundo Zip Code: 90245 Area of Interest: Cable Television Production, Engineering/Technical Operations, Network Television Production, News, Television/Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Transmission Operations Engineer will be responsible for the technical operation of Spectrum Networks transmission systems, event backhauls and coordination as well as perform feed records. Individuals in this role will setup and operate the transmission facility in accordance with Spectrum Networks technical standards as well as the technical limits as defined by EIA RS-170A/ SMPTE 274M/SMPTE 292M guidelines and FCC RF guidelines.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitor and maintain outbound distribution feeds.
- Evaluates and resolves transmission related technical issues.
- Execute and coordinate, inbound fiber and satellite transmission feeds to include Standard Definition, High Defintion, MPEG2 and MPEG4.
- Communicate/coordinate with SNG and production vehicles, satellite TOC’s and in-house staff on transmission related technical items.
- Maintain all required logs and feed information in the Spectrum Networks systems.
- Evaluation and resolution of technical issues as they occur.
- Evaluation of Standard Definition and High Definition transmission signals using in-house test equipment.
- Be able to execute and coordinate, outbound and inbound fiber and satellite transmission feeds. Standard Definition, High Definition, MPEG2 and MPEG4 .
- High volume environment must be able to work under pressure, coordinating multiple feeds simultaneously.
- Evaluate RF/fiber signals using spectrum analyzers, file analyzers, waveform monitors and vectorscopes.
- Perform routing on Evertz High Definition routing systems.
- Setup all communications both intercom and IFBs for all remotes.
- Communicate with remote SNG vehicles, satellite NOC/TOCs and third party clients.
- Communication with in-house staff on feed status.
- Maintain all required logs and fill out all required feed information in Spectrum systems.
- Operate and maintain the Transmission facilities.
- Operate DALET Media Management systems.
- Operate Adtec/Cisco/Tandberg transmission equipment.
- Operate The SWITCH routing terminal for bi-directional transmission.
- Operate the Transmission Console. Perform all required recordings to video server systems or video tape machines, perform all required audio and video routing, adjust standards converters, adjust up down and cross-converters, and setup all Evertz frame syncs.
- Additional projects assigned by management/leadership team on needed basis.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Reacts to project adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently.
- Flexible during times of change.
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, clients, and other departments.
- Fiber and IP based transmission experience.
- Ability to work under pressure receiving a high volume of feeds.
- Proficient with computers and MS office software.
- Satellite uplink and/or downlink, teleport experience.
- College diploma or university degree in the field of Electronics, Television, Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- 3-5 years of experience in broadcast facility operations.
- FCC General Class License desirable
- SBE certification desirable
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go