Freelance Photojournalist - Spectrum News 1 SoCalApply Now Date posted 09/10/2019 Requisition Number: 248640BR Location: United States - California - El Segundo Area of Interest: News, TV Programming Position Type: Part Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a growing organization, home of 27 Local News Channels nationwide and 9 Local/Regional Sports Channels, inclusive of 3 Los Angeles based Sports Networks. Spectrum Networks is the news and sports division of Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: CHTR), the leading broadband communications company and the second-largest cable operator in the United States.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour news network that requires employees be flexible and available to work various shifts throughout the day, including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays. The network is currently focused on the morning news, which means your day will start in the middle of the night, but it also means your workday will end around noon (most days).
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: Spectrum Networks is looking for a Photojournalist with strong ability to multi-task in the field. This role must be able to shoot, gather content both with a partner and independently, and edit video on deadline – while also having strong technical skills specifically, operating ENG/SNG newsgathering equipment, and visual technique of composing shots to tell the story.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Shoot, audio mix and edit still and video content for web and broadcast on deadline
- Work with reporters, assignment desk editors, and production staff and independently in the newsgathering process
- Manage general upkeep of assigned company vehicle and equipment
- Work with video newsgathering equipment such as lighting, lenses, and tripods
- Provide guidance on capabilities and means to optimize video opportunities
- Analyze subject material, select equipment, lighting, angle and background; select and present subject to achieve the desired effect, with attention to lighting, background composition and style
- Choose and utilize a wide variety of video newsgathering equipment, including lenses, lightings, filters, etc.
- Use video editing software to modify and create images meeting defined style requirements; edit and enhance images; apply special effects and color correction as needed
- Responsible for representing the station in a professional manner
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Must live or be willing to relocate to Central Los Angeles, CA
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- News video editing skills
- Must have the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts, be flexible with schedule changes and able to cover stand-by responsibilities when assigned
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly communicate solutions; and able to relate well with diverse populations and age groups
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem-solving
- Ability to work with bonded cellular live streaming technology and Operate ENG/SNG vehicles under company guidelines and within proper safety parameters
- Must obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license for authorized driving in the State of residence
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field or comparable television work experience preferred
- 5+ years shooting and editing television news footage experience
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.