Freelance Segment Producer - Spectrum News 1 SoCalApply Now Date posted 09/10/2019 Requisition Number: 248278BR Location: United States - California - El Segundo Area of Interest: News, Production, TV Programming Position Type: Part Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Freelance Segments Producer will produce special content for various platforms including both individual elements inside coverage and/or special coverage/programs including; documentaries, investigative pieces, magazine, arts, cultural & entertainment. This may relate to important daily news coverage, franchise, feature, or special event coverage.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Produce compelling and/or long form programming that may include original programming, magazine, arts and culture, entertainment, theatrical, investigative pieces and documentaries
- Identify and pitch story ideas and/or work on assigned stories
- Develop, cultivate and maintain contacts/sources
- Work regularly with daily news producing staff to anticipate and produce special elements to enhance news coverage
- Collaborate with partners both inside and outside of Spectrum Networks
- Work closely with other department members to produce stories
- Field produce as needed
- Perform editing and control room functions as required
- Create, research, shoot and edit original content, documentaries, arts and entertainment and in-studio interviews
- Work with outside organization and sources to develop story ideas
- Write and edit scripts
- Produce special programming, including live shows, as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills/Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Interpersonal skills; has contact with media and general public with excellent collaboration skills and the ability to work effectively within a team environment and interact with all personnel within the organization
- Ability to shoot and edit video
- Familiarity with the local market
- Familiarity with IRE best practices
- Knowledge of social media platforms
- Communication and collaboration skills; demonstrated excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Must be able to work rapidly and accurately
- Ability to anticipate situations, meet strict deadlines, organize and manage multiple priorities
- Knowledge of current events and industry trends
- Pro-active with demonstrated enthusiasm in dealing with breaking news and high-stress situations
- Ability to effectively train others
- Strong knowledge of general office computer software, newsroom software and non-linear editing system
- Complex editing skills
- Knowledge of legal standards to ensure editorial guidelines of all segments
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism or related field or comparable work experience preferred
- 5+ years of Television News producing experience
- 3+ years of documentaries producing experience
- 3+ years of investigative producing experience
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.