Master Control OperatorApply Now Date posted 03/31/2020 Requisition Number: 261034BR Location: United States - California - El Segundo Area of Interest: Network Operations, Technical Operations, TV Programming, Video Operations Position Type: Full Time
Spectrum Networks is looking for passionate, talented and driven individuals with an eagerness to join the best and most dedicated in gathering, producing and delivering stories that make a difference within a 24-hour breaking news environment. Our commitment is to engage viewers with relevant and timely news that is important to the local communities we serve.
What is Spectrum Networks: Spectrum Networks is a growing organization, home of 27 Local News Channels nationwide and 9 Local/Regional Sports Channels, inclusive of 3 Los Angeles based Sports Networks. Spectrum Networks is the news and sports division of Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: CHTR), the leading broadband communications company and the second-largest cable operator in the United States.
The Spectrum News Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour news network that requires employees be flexible and available to work various shifts throughout the day, including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays. The network is currently focused on the morning news, which means your day will start in the middle of the night, but it also means your workday will end around noon (most days).
Spectrum Networks employees are passionate and driven, and can thrive in a competitive, fast-paced and fiercely accurate 24-hour breaking news environment. They are creative and/or highly technical with a desire to leverage their knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories that enhance daily living within our local communities. They are nimble and learn quickly, enabling themselves to pivot when new information is acquired within an ever-changing newsroom. They are team players with positive attitudes and strong interpersonal skills. They have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Master Control Operator will be responsible for performing all on-air operations to include recording, downloading, uploading and editing of all on-air programming and commercial material in a live environment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate all master control room equipment associated with a typical distribution environment.
- Monitor and maintain the quality, continuity and availability of multiple networks and distribution channels in a live and non-live environment.
- Work with broadcast systems incorporating logs/playlists to manage content playout.
- Ensure continuity of on-air schedules in a dynamic environment.
- Monitor programming schedules and associated databases for air.
- Capture and encoding of content related to on-air schedules.
- Assists media operations group in the recording and storage of content feeds.
- Manages deployment and retrieval of playlists and
- as-run files.
- Integrates live and previously recorded program content.
- Monitors video/audio quality and signal availability using waveform monitors, meters and other test and monitoring equipment.
- Maintains program and break continuity.
- Operate on-air branding and news and ticker systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Proficient with computers and MS office software.
- Understanding of Dalet newsroom tools and automation applications.
Education & Experience:
- 3-5 years of experience in broadcast television, cable programmer or network desirable.
- Experience in a live broadcast environment desirable.
- SBE certification desirable.
Spectrum Networks believes every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication, openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn and grow, and an overall positive attitude. Roles may require the following:
Sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time.
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines.
- Varying schedule as a result of changing production, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements.
- Dexterity of hands, fingers to operate computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other compute components.
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and loss of staff members.
- Participate in an established on-call rotation.
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.