Multimedia Journalist - Spectrum Networks - Greensboro, NCApply Now Date posted 11/13/2020 Requisition Number: 266106BR Location: United States - North Carolina - Greensboro Area of Interest: Content Development, News, TV Programming Position Type: Full Time
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for:
The Multimedia Journalist (MMJ) role is responsible for researching, enterprising, developing, writing, shooting, editing, producing and delivering live presentation of local, compelling, creative and original news stories on deadline while capturing quality visual content. Contributes to special features and stories. Creates impactful and compelling content for the viewers in our local communities. Participates in coordinating coverage of major stories, breaking news and specials.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Research, pitch, enterprise, write, capture quality visual content, edit news stories and produce creative, original and compelling own stories for multiple platforms.
- Develop and cultivate a wide network of sources within the community and establishes a community presence outside of the newscast.
- Generate original story ideas and develop fresh angles/perspectives and enterprise pieces for the stories of the day and responsible for development of news stories from conception to completion.
- Produce original content for an assigned newscast or news series.
- Partner with legal team to ensure news content and materials meet legal requirements and help mitigate risk to the company.
- Identify long and short-term story ideas, research and discover the content and set up interviews.
- Research and verify information for original news stories by being resourceful in using beat sources, contacts and leaders and verifying facts.
- Deliver news reports, including live ad-lib and recorded reports while demonstrating energy, confidence, professional appearance and voice quality.
- Report within assigned deadlines.
- Organize material, determine angle or emphasis and write stories accordingly.
- Combine video, audio and graphics to tell the story effectively.
- Work with assignment desk editors and production staff and independently in the newsgathering process.
- Responsible for representing channel in a professional manner.
- Craft smart, appealing and accurate headlines.
- Strategically engage in social media.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skill/Abilities and Knowledge
- Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Strong story development skills to submit original story ideas on a daily basis
- Excellent news judgment and driven by the 24-hour news cycle
- Ability to edit stories as necessary
- Live shot experience required
- Ability to develop sources, work a beat, and break stories
- Strong on-camera skills
- Experience with bonded cellular technology
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly communicate solutions
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel
- Ability to handle breaking news on-air
- Proven ability to report live stories
- Ability to shoot video
- Must be a self-motivated and have the ability to build relationships
- Must have editing skills
- Must be adept at social media
- Must use curiosity and have a sense of urgency to build compelling stories about the local community and community members
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving
- Ability to drive a company vehicle to and from assigned location while obeying all traffic laws
- Valid driver’s license for authorized driving in the State of residence
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, Communications or related field or comparable television work experience preferred.
- 3 Years of Television News Reporting Experience
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The health and safety of our employees and candidates is very important to us. Spectrum has adopted virtual mobile recruiting tools that allow us to continue meeting new candidates. We look forward to “virtually” meeting you.
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.