Director, Software EngineeringApply Now Date posted 04/16/2019 Requisition Number: 235110BR Location: United States - Colorado - Greenwood Village Area of Interest: Engineering/Technical Operations, Information Technology Services Position Type: Full Time
Responsible for strategic direction and management of the software delivery staff. Implement and enhance consistent software engineering practices to ensure stable product delivery aligned with company initiatives and expectations. Support operations including technical services, code upgrades, and network operations. Direct project planning, capital budgeting and assist with business plan development. Ensure a high degree of cross functional communication and participation in line with product planning, deployment and support. Lead Organizational Effectiveness within the Video Software space including but not limited to personal development plans, capabilities assessments, employee engagement analysis, facilitating teaming events, making recommendations to leadership etc.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Leads an innovative, collaborative work team to produce exceptional software that enhances customer experience.
- Establishes and measures performance targets for management of software development department.
- Develops an effective front line management team and assists them with developing their direct reports to drive a high performance culture and environment.
- Evaluates, in conjunction with all levels of leadership, third party software solutions, code architecture, technical operations, strategic planning of releases, network operations, dispatch, and new product development and deployment.
- Develops the program strategy, supporting business case and various high-level project plans.
- Ensures integration of projects and adjusts project scope, timing, and budgets as needed, based on the needs of the business. May also coordinate with multiple project managers to assemble overall program plan.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and mentor to project managers and project leaders to educate and assist them with implementing project management processes and making improvement/changes.
- Accountable for the development and execution of project management processes and methodologies to ensure delivery of project scope on time and within budget while meeting or exceeding quality standards and customer expectations.
- Accountable for plans and teamwork assignments, directing work efforts, reviewing integrated project plans, escalating and communicating resource needs, ensuring completion of quality reviews, and driving the resolution of issues as appropriate.
- Collaborates with leadership and other stakeholders on program strategy, direction and changes.
- Responsible for delivering all projects contained in the project portfolio on time, within budget and meeting the strategic and business requirements.
- Responsible for tracking key project milestones and recommending adjustments to Project Managers.
- Partners with senior leadership of the business community to identify and prioritize opportunities to achieve the goals of the enterprise.
- Reviews selections on bids for contracted projects, and provide recommendations as necessary.
- Oversees capital budget process and executes approved budget plan.
- Leads and participates in succession planning.
- Performs other duties as requested.
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner
- Advanced knowledge of current software development methodologies and practices
- Ability to drive multiple projects and tasks
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems while working under pressure
- Ability to supervise and motivate others
- Ability to organize and delegate work to various levels of management and software developers
- Experience leading or managing teams that have successfully delivered software using Java and web technologies
- Extensive knowledge of open source software such as Spring, Hibernate, Apache Commons, Tomcat
- Comprehensive understanding of applicable local and state rules and regulations
- Comprehensive understanding of OSHA rules and regulations, both federal and state
Related Work Experience
6-7 years of Agile Project Management experience
10+ years of IT or Engineering work experience
3-4 years of Organizational Effectiveness
Skills /Abilities and Knowledge
- Advanced knowledge of company products and services
- In depth knowledge of Federal Communications Commission regulations
- Lean Six Sigma
- Implementing Scaled Agile
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Office environment
- Exposure to moderate noise levels
- Travel as required
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
A Day in the Life
Curious about a typical day as a Spectrum employee? Check out these stories of how our people spend their day. Hear stories and watch original video featuring members of our team.Go