Principal Engineer I - Performance Management Tools
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Spectrum’s growth and success in the ever-evolving technological landscape are built on the sophisticated innovations and service reliability our Network Operations groups provide. Video Operations cultivates our dynamic video ecosystem, ensuring smooth transitions from source to satellite to screen. Working groups are dedicated to creating and harnessing cutting-edge streaming and data technologies to smooth and improve the user experience. We engineer complex architecture, offering technical troubleshooting and market support for all of our video products, including hardware, software and related infrastructure.
- Full Time
- Job Level: Entry to Senior
- Travel: Occasional
What makes you successful in Video Operations?
Check out our top traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solving
- Detail Oriented
- Team Player
Job FunctionDate posted 11/05/2019 Requisition Number: 252531BR Location: United States - Colorado - Greenwood Village Area of Interest: Engineering, Network Operations, Technical Operations, Video Operations Position Type: Full Time
Responsible for technical leadership in the design, deployment and support of software solutions that provide valuable operational visibility to a multitude of platforms supporting the delivery of video programs and services. Works on solving complex problems and deploying complex solutions that bring situational awareness to the systems within the Video Operations space. You will be a subject matter expert for the solutions and systems our team develops.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Set project and task priorities, create solutions to complex problems, assign work and deliverables to junior engineers, translate technical to non-technical, ensure you meet team deliverables, and provide mentoring and development opportunities to junior staff.
- Design and deploy solutions that bring operational awareness and performance management visibility to unique platforms within the Video Operations space.
- Build and deploy front end dashboards that are intuitive and easy to understand by platform owners, using various source data options and complex data management analytics
- Quickly understand unique and complex platform architectures, identify available data criteria, and translate into actionable performance metrics that platform owners can act upon
- Work closely with internal customers on requirement gathering and clarification to identify opportunities to introduce additional performance visibility to stakeholders
- Maintain and support the existing tool catalog – prioritize and scope features and new products based on customer input and technical direction
- Identify, prioritize and reduce technical debt while meeting tool development deliverables
- Participate in code reviews & architecture discussions
- Influence infrastructure, deployment, and development environment decisions to best support the team
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, and / or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum eight (8) years of network or software engineering experience
- Minimum eight (8) years of experience creating solutions for operational tools and dashboards in the OSS/BSS space, or in platform or network management.
- Proven ability to digest complex asks and provide technical and software solutions to measure and report on real-time performance.
- Experience in designing solutions that improve operational and situational awareness. (Dashboards, websites, data processing, translations, user interfaces, big data)
- Expertise with code repositories, development frameworks, programming languages such as Ruby, Go and Python.
- Expertise with database development and use (Mongo, Postgress, Hadoop, etc.)
- Demonstrated complex problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to multi tasks and quickly pivot to changing priorities and tight deadlines
- Ability to assess a problem and determine an effective course of action with sustainable solutions
- Proven examples of developing solutions or dashboards that assist in performance management in the video space
- Special consideration if experience is within the video delivery ecosystem. (i.e. encoding, encryption, transport, packaging, VOD, SDV, OSS, etc.)
- Technical understanding of linear and IP video delivery systems
- Understanding of dashboards and machine learning technologies
- Experience in automating video deployment systems
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
I have always been intrigued with video and how it works, from the satellite to the customer’s home. It’s also really exciting to be a part of team that is working on the future of the internet and TV. Our teams at Spectrum come from a variety of different backgrounds, with people from all over the world. We get the opportunity to learn and work with some of the most talented people in their field.Brandon, Director, Video Operations
I’ve been in my role on the Video Operations team since joining Spectrum 3.5 years ago. My role is to ensure that, when our customers watch our video content, it is available when they want it, where they want it, and how they want it. Our employees have unique skillsets and points of view, which makes for great collaboration and leveraging of top talent. The company fosters an environment of success and progression. We have the tools in place to help everyone succeed.John, Sr. Director, Video Operations
INSIDE NETWORK OPERATIONS
Read about our growing collaborative Network Operations teams.
THIS IS SPECTRUM
Learn about our 98,000 employees, products and services, and advertising solutions offered to 28 million customers in 41 states.
OPPORTUNITY AND INNOVATION
Find a career in advanced technology here.
Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision plans available.
Paid Time Off
Paid vacation, sick and personal time, and holidays.
401(k) Retirement Savings
We provide a 100% match for every dollar you contribute, up to 6% of your eligible pay.
We support continuing education for personal and professional growth.
Advancement is a very real and achievable goal.
Training and Certification
Sponsored courses help enhance your skills.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.