Systems Engineer II - Cloud Infrastructure Support
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Spectrum’s growth and success in the ever-evolving technological landscape are built on the sophisticated innovations and service reliability our Network Operations groups provide. Applications Platform Operations (APO) encompasses an expansive range of proficiencies over five major areas of expertise: IT Security, Provisioning, Operations System Support, Data Implementation, and Email and Customer Portal. We focus on the technology and services that create a seamless and secure customer experience.
- Full Time
- Job Level: Entry to Senior
- Travel: Occasional
What makes you successful in Applications Platform Operations?
Check out our top traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solving
- Detail Oriented
- Team Player
Job FunctionDate posted 10/01/2019 Requisition Number: 250273BR Location: United States - Colorado - Greenwood Village Area of Interest: Engineering, Network Operations, Systems Engineer Position Type: Full Time
Responsible for Tier II operational support of large scale cloud infrastructure and applications, primarily on Amazon Web Services. Responsible for assisting with design, development, application administration, deployments, scaling and troubleshooting complex micro service based applications and cloud infrastructure.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Solid understanding of what is required for applications and infrastructure to be "cloud native", Micro services and SOA architecture
- Experience working as part of a distributed engineering team, contributing to architecture, requirements, feasibility, and cost analysis.
- Comfortable with Unix/Linux Administration, Server log analysis, AWS administration and automation
- Strong experience in Shell, Python or similar scripting languages
- Familiar with the set up and manage continuous integration/delivery tools - Jenkins/Maven ,Security Group Management-Deployment automation/packaging/configuration in a large scale production environment
- Troubleshoot common J2EE / LAMP application and environment issues, as well as demonstrating expertise around specifying, designing, and/or implementing system health, performance monitoring tools, and software management tools for 24x7 environments
- Understanding of networking, load balancing principles and approaches to scaling out of systems
- Creates work effort estimates for assigned tasks and support prioritization and release management, and provides 'on call' support to resolve application issues after normal business hours
- Uses established change management processes, requiring operational procedures be performed with minimal customer impact, (i.e. during established maintenance window)
- Managing ticketing queues for incidents and trouble issues, Works with database administrators to configure, tune and maintain databases in variety of languages
- Documents systems configurations and upgrades
- Designs and implements change control policies and disaster recovery plans
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, and/or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of Three (3) years of Application development experience
- At least Three (3) years of Network OSS application experience, and Enterprise application integration (EAI)
- Minimum two (2) years of System Administration experience
- Minimum of two (2) years Database support and development experience
- Have strong problem solving, analytical and comprehensive skills.
- The ability to work in a team environment and work effectively with people with diverse technical skills.
- Scripting and programming skills, as well as write technical documentation to be referenced by technical peers in a knowledge base
- Above average Splunk abilities to build dashboards, reports, and alerts
- Working knowledge of Chef, Docker, Puppet, Ansible and other similar configuration management tools
- Production experience with NoSQL technologies such as Cassandra, MongoDB
- Familiar with the Netflix OSS tool stack (Asgard, Eureka, etc.), deployment methodologies and tools for application code
- Above average ability to configure multiple performance monitoring tools
- Ability to work with JIRA, Confluence, and Remedy ticketing systems
- Very Strong ability to conduct design sessions to specify solution designs for feasibility, cost, and functionality, create detailed documentation to functionally understand new and existing applications
- Ability to follow and implement established change and control policies and procedures
- Strong ability to troubleshoot application problems
- Knowledge of development tools, application frameworks, and testing tools. OSS applications and software.
- Broad knowledge of choosing the appropriate lifecycle and the planning, monitoring and control of the system engineering process
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Having worked for Spectrum for over 10 years, I have been provided with the opportunity to learn within my role, but I have also taken advantage of education assistance to support the completion of my degree. I started at the front line and worked my way to Engineering, so I can attest to the opportunity for career growth the company has presented. Leadership has developed an environment where self-starters can thrive.Andrew, Systems Engineer III
Working for Spectrum has been an excellent experience, both challenging and rewarding. As an Engineer in a group responsible for our company's private Cloud infrastructure, I’ve had a unique opportunity to work with a variety of platforms and systems on a large scale not present in most companies. Our team is a group of diverse individuals who don't just believe in supporting each other and excelling in our roles, but who put these ideas into practice every day. Our department leaders make an equally large effort to ensure that we are equipped with the tools, training, skills, and knowledge needed to support today's virtualization platforms, along with tomorrow's upcoming technologies. I am proud to be part of this company and my team, and each day I look forward to coming to work knowing that I am contributing to the success of the company, and the satisfaction of our customers.Eric, Systems Engineer III
INSIDE NETWORK OPERATIONS
Read about our growing collaborative Network Operations teams.
THIS IS SPECTRUM
Learn about our 98,000 employees, products and services, and advertising solutions offered to 28 million customers in 41 states.
OPPORTUNITY AND INNOVATION
Find a career in advanced technology here.
Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision plans available.
Paid Time Off
Paid vacation, sick and personal time, and holidays.
401(k) Retirement Savings
We provide a 100% match for every dollar you contribute, up to 6% of your eligible pay.
We support continuing education for personal and professional growth.
Advancement is a very real and achievable goal.
Training and Certification
Sponsored courses help enhance your skills.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.