Systems Engineer III - Operation Systems Support
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Spectrum’s growth and success in the ever-evolving technological landscape are built on the sophisticated innovations and service reliability our Network Operations groups provide. Applications Platform Operations (APO) encompasses an expansive range of proficiencies over five major areas of expertise: IT Security, Provisioning, Operations System Support, Data Implementation, and Email and Customer Portal. We focus on the technology and services that create a seamless and secure customer experience.
- Full Time
- Job Level: Entry to Senior
- Travel: Occasional
What makes you successful in Applications Platform Operations?
Check out our top traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solving
- Detail Oriented
- Team Player
Job FunctionDate posted 02/18/2020 Requisition Number: 258717BR Location: United States - Colorado - Greenwood Village Area of Interest: Engineering, Information Technology Services, Network Operations, Software Engineering, Systems Engineer Position Type: Full Time
The Systems Engineer III / Network Management System Engineer is responsible for implementation, maintenance and support of enterprise-wide OSS (Operations Support Systems) applications and their associated operating systems and databases. The engineer is also responsible for application administration of OSS applications supporting all Charter Divisions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain the assigned applications: log ingestion, kafka/message bus, Hadoop and IPDR, with all applicable patches, upgrades, bug fixes and configuration changes when required
- Planning, testing and implementing future developments within team process and in conjunction with team members
- Create and provide presentations to peers and management when required
- Responsible for the detailed level configuration requirements of the hardware, OS configuration, and scripting efficiencies as well as detailed [low level] OS knowledge for changes that may be required for break fix repairs
- Responsible for on-call notifications from the NOC and APO support center specific to the team applications during the on-call rotation time slot for this role
- Participates in future planning of the architecture with team peers, advanced engineering and management
- Other duties as assigned specific to the success of the OSS platform team which may include the supporting of a other platform initiatives when the support/help is needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, and/or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of Systems Engineering experience
- At least (5) years of experience working with Linux/Unix
- Minimum of five (5) years network / OSI model, database interaction and utilization
- Minimum of five (5) years of hands-on experience in developing and supporting analysis environment applications and network elements
- Must have two (2) years experience maintaining, supporting and administering a log ingestion environment, ie: Splunk, ELK, logrythm etc.
- Must have two (2) years experience maintaining, supporting and administering a messaging bus environment, ie: kafka, stream processing tools, rabitMQ or other
- Experience working with the following technologies are beneficial: Vertica, Linux RedHat or CentOS, python, bash, PERL, SQL, IP networking protocols, network analytics [some variant of these tools]
- Working knowledge of these protocols: DNS, RADIUS, LDAP, SSO, IPDR and how they work in a network
- Experienced with one or more of the following applications: Splunk, ELK, syslog, kafka [apache, confluent or cloudera], Hadoop, SQL/mysql
- Operational support experience at the carrier or large enterprise level
- Experience with one or more of the following applications: Network routing, network switching, load balancing, disaster recovery, scaling and sizing for network bandwidth utilization
- Strong skill and capabilities with the development and documenting of standards, processes and procedures
- Undertaking routine maintenance of assigned systems, including system patching/upgrades and compliance management along with outage calls for support participating in an on-call operational capacity
- Working closely with other teams and collaborating with other team members
- Experience with 2nd and 3rd level support and problem resolution
- Experience working within Telecommunications industry, preferably MSO or large Tier 1 carrier
- Database administration and mining
- Scripting capabilities in python
- Data analytics and tool management experience
- Certifications with Splunk, kafka, networking server, OS vendor [linux based] and/or hardware vendor
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Having worked for Spectrum for over 10 years, I have been provided with the opportunity to learn within my role, but I have also taken advantage of education assistance to support the completion of my degree. I started at the front line and worked my way to Engineering, so I can attest to the opportunity for career growth the company has presented. Leadership has developed an environment where self-starters can thrive.Andrew, Systems Engineer III
Working for Spectrum has been an excellent experience, both challenging and rewarding. As an Engineer in a group responsible for our company's private Cloud infrastructure, I’ve had a unique opportunity to work with a variety of platforms and systems on a large scale not present in most companies. Our team is a group of diverse individuals who don't just believe in supporting each other and excelling in our roles, but who put these ideas into practice every day. Our department leaders make an equally large effort to ensure that we are equipped with the tools, training, skills, and knowledge needed to support today's virtualization platforms, along with tomorrow's upcoming technologies. I am proud to be part of this company and my team, and each day I look forward to coming to work knowing that I am contributing to the success of the company, and the satisfaction of our customers.Eric, Systems Engineer III
INSIDE NETWORK OPERATIONS
Read about our growing collaborative Network Operations teams.
THIS IS SPECTRUM
Learn about our 98,000 employees, products and services, and advertising solutions offered to 28 million customers in 41 states.
OPPORTUNITY AND INNOVATION
Find a career in advanced technology here.
Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision plans available.
Paid Time Off
Paid vacation, sick and personal time, and holidays.
401(k) Retirement Savings
We provide a 100% match for every dollar you contribute, up to 6% of your eligible pay.
We support continuing education for personal and professional growth.
Advancement is a very real and achievable goal.
Training and Certification
Sponsored courses help enhance your skills.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.