Systems Engineer III - OSS DevOps
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Spectrum’s growth and success in the ever-evolving technological landscape are built on the sophisticated innovations and service reliability our Network Operations groups provide. Applications Platform Operations (APO) encompasses an expansive range of proficiencies over five major areas of expertise: IT Security, Provisioning, Operations System Support, Data Implementation, and Email and Customer Portal. We focus on the technology and services that create a seamless and secure customer experience.
- Full Time
- Job Level: Entry to Senior
- Travel: Occasional
What makes you successful in Applications Platform Operations?
Check out our top traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solving
- Detail Oriented
- Team Player
Job FunctionDate posted 11/07/2019 Requisition Number: 252720BR Location: United States - Colorado - Greenwood Village Area of Interest: Engineering, Network Operations, Systems Engineer Position Type: Full Time
This mid-level engineering position requires a strong knowledge of Linux operating systems and will be responsible for the day to day operations and maintenance of various systems and ancillary applications that support internal CMTS/DOCSIS metrics and monitoring tools. This candidate must also have experience with modern system administration technologies such as automation tools (Chef/Ansible), and exposure to development environments. Experience with creating, troubleshooting, and administering virtual machine environments is also desiredrequired. The candidate must have excellent communications skills, be highly motivated, eager to take on new responsibilities, and be a team player.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the day to day operations and maintenance of various systems and ancillary applications that support CMTS/DOCSIS metrics and monitoring tools
- Responsible for partner with our internal development team to build an automated environment within a virtual machine centered infrastructure.
- Troubleshooting and maintaining Charter internal custom applications using log files, monitoring tools and system administration skills
- Implementing automation solutions for legacy and new monitoring tool environments using software such as Chef and Ansible.
- On-call duties as assigned. Consistent with a 24 X 7 Operations environment, periodic cell phone availability will be necessary to respond to escalated issues
- Managing and tracking hardware repairs in partnership with on-site technicians
- Implementing monitoring solutions using Unix tools and third party tools such as Splunk, OP5, AppDynamics, Instana or similar tools
- Responsible for weekly deployments of configuration and code files into production environments in partnership with the application development team
- Will partner and support a close working relationship with team members, peers, engineering and development teams to solve issues that arise
- Supporting daily operations under pressure and meeting strict deadlines is a must.
- Excellent technical skills including strong problem-solving abilities.
- Provide timely feedback to leadership on proposed updates and proactively identify potential areas of concern
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, and/or equivalent work experience
- Minimum five (5) years of experience with Linux operating systems, preferably Red Hat or CentOS.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience Shell scripting experience and Linux package installation: yum, rpm.
- Minimum five (5) years of software/configuration production deployment environments
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in System Engineer/Administration, system monitoring and related concepts.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience as a user or administrator of modern database environments such as Oracle, mySQL, etc.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience with automation tools such as Chef/Ansible
ADDITIONAL JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience or knowledge with server applications utilizing Java technologies, Java Application Development, third party API’s, AngularJS/React
- Knowledge with GoLang/Go, J2EE, Java Applets, Spring Boot, AWS, Oracle Database (DML/DDL), Web User Interface Design, Object-Oriented Design (OOD)
- Strong understanding of Linux operating systems, preferably Red Hat
- Experience with Shell scripting, TCP/IP and networking concepts, system security best practices and system monitoring.
- Capable of managing systems in a large scale, high availability environment.
- Experience working in DevOps practices and tools in cloud based enterprise.
- Must be highly motivated, a self-starter, independent thinker with a strong sense of responsibility and a willingness to take ownership of issues.
- Experience with troubleshooting database issues on both the data side and the system administration side
- Exposure to development languages and tools such as Java, GIT, Jenkins, etc.
- Exposure to micro services architecture and CI/CD pipeline
- Experience in working with big data solutions such as Hadoop, Elastic Search or similar
- Ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Exposure to messaging infrastructure and technologies such as Kafka
- Exposure to scripting languages such as Python, Perl, etc.
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills and a strong work ethic.
- Ability to provide weekly progress to leadership regarding operations and deployment milestones
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner
- Experience with MySQL, Redhat, IPv6, Splunk, SNMP, OP5 or other monitoring tools
- Experience with container technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, etc..
- Understanding of http/https protocols, Virtual machines/concepts; VMware, Open Stack, etc.
- Scripting and/or programming expertise (e.g. shell, Perl, PHP).
- Experience with working in “DevOps” type work environments where development and operations work together to achieve stable and growing applications
- Familiarity with working in an Agile task-oriented environment
- Knowledge and implementation of network topology and OSI models
- Experience with performing duties in a very fast pace environment and ability to learn new technology quickly
- Occasional travel may be required for training at company expense.
- Office environment.
- Business attire required.
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Having worked for Spectrum for over 10 years, I have been provided with the opportunity to learn within my role, but I have also taken advantage of education assistance to support the completion of my degree. I started at the front line and worked my way to Engineering, so I can attest to the opportunity for career growth the company has presented. Leadership has developed an environment where self-starters can thrive.Andrew, Systems Engineer III
Working for Spectrum has been an excellent experience, both challenging and rewarding. As an Engineer in a group responsible for our company's private Cloud infrastructure, I’ve had a unique opportunity to work with a variety of platforms and systems on a large scale not present in most companies. Our team is a group of diverse individuals who don't just believe in supporting each other and excelling in our roles, but who put these ideas into practice every day. Our department leaders make an equally large effort to ensure that we are equipped with the tools, training, skills, and knowledge needed to support today's virtualization platforms, along with tomorrow's upcoming technologies. I am proud to be part of this company and my team, and each day I look forward to coming to work knowing that I am contributing to the success of the company, and the satisfaction of our customers.Eric, Systems Engineer III
INSIDE NETWORK OPERATIONS
Read about our growing collaborative Network Operations teams.
THIS IS SPECTRUM
Learn about our 98,000 employees, products and services, and advertising solutions offered to 28 million customers in 41 states.
OPPORTUNITY AND INNOVATION
Find a career in advanced technology here.
Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision plans available.
Paid Time Off
Paid vacation, sick and personal time, and holidays.
401(k) Retirement Savings
We provide a 100% match for every dollar you contribute, up to 6% of your eligible pay.
We support continuing education for personal and professional growth.
Advancement is a very real and achievable goal.
Training and Certification
Sponsored courses help enhance your skills.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.