Systems Engineer IV - Application & Systems Administration
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Spectrum’s growth and success in the ever-evolving technological landscape are built on the sophisticated innovations and service reliability our Network Operations groups provide. Applications Platform Operations (APO) encompasses an expansive range of proficiencies over five major areas of expertise: IT Security, Provisioning, Operations System Support, Data Implementation, and Email and Customer Portal. We focus on the technology and services that create a seamless and secure customer experience.
- Full Time
- Job Level: Entry to Senior
- Travel: Occasional
What makes you successful in Applications Platform Operations?
Check out our top traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solving
- Detail Oriented
- Team Player
Job FunctionDate posted 08/12/2019 Requisition Number: 242146BR Location: United States - Colorado - Greenwood Village Area of Interest: Engineering, Information Technology Services, Systems Engineer Position Type: Full Time
This Senior Engineer position requires a strong knowledge of Java application support and Unix administration. The candidate must have excellent communications skills, be highly motivated, eager to take on new responsibilities and be a team player. The ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines is a must. Excellent technical skills including strong problem-solving abilities. Other required skills, abilities, and duties listed below:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Will partner and support a close working relationship with team members, peers, engineering and development teams to solve issues that arise
- Provide timely feedback to engineering on proposed updates, and proactively identify potential areas of concern
- On-call duties as assigned. consistent with a 24 X 7 Operations environment, periodic cell phone availability will be necessary to respond to escalated issues
- Supporting daily operations under pressure and meet strict deadlines is a must.
- Identifying and resolving technical issues
- Excellent technical skills including strong problem-solving abilities.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, and/or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of six (6) years of engineering work experience.
- Minimum four (4) years of experience Shell scripting / Automation experience, and Linux operating systems, preferably Red Hat or CentOS.
- Minimum four (4) years of experience with application / system monitoring and concepts
- Minimum four (4) years of System Engineer / Administration experience
- Linux package installation: yum, rpm
- Familiarity with system monitoring and concepts
- Understanding of TCP/IP and networking concepts
- Work with and manage systems in a large scale, high availability environment
- Motivated self-starter and independent thinker
- Strong work ethic
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work under tight deadlines with a “get the job done” mindset
- Strong sense of responsibility – willing to take ownership of issues
- Knowledge in System security best practices
- Weblogic and Containers
- Understanding of Virtual machines/concepts; VMware, Open Stack, etc.
- Linux administration
- Scripting and/or programming expertise (e.g. shell, Perl, Python, Ansible)
- Understanding of Certificate management
- Experience with Splunk, SNMP, AppDynamics, Instana
- Three (3) years of Basic Database / SQL experience
- Occasional travel may be required for training at company expense.
- Office environment
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Having worked for Spectrum for over 10 years, I have been provided with the opportunity to learn within my role, but I have also taken advantage of education assistance to support the completion of my degree. I started at the front line and worked my way to Engineering, so I can attest to the opportunity for career growth the company has presented. Leadership has developed an environment where self-starters can thrive.Andrew, Systems Engineer III
Working for Spectrum has been an excellent experience, both challenging and rewarding. As an Engineer in a group responsible for our company's private Cloud infrastructure, I’ve had a unique opportunity to work with a variety of platforms and systems on a large scale not present in most companies. Our team is a group of diverse individuals who don't just believe in supporting each other and excelling in our roles, but who put these ideas into practice every day. Our department leaders make an equally large effort to ensure that we are equipped with the tools, training, skills, and knowledge needed to support today's virtualization platforms, along with tomorrow's upcoming technologies. I am proud to be part of this company and my team, and each day I look forward to coming to work knowing that I am contributing to the success of the company, and the satisfaction of our customers.Eric, Systems Engineer III
INSIDE NETWORK OPERATIONS
Read about our growing collaborative Network Operations teams.
THIS IS SPECTRUM
Learn more about our 95,000 employees, range of products and services, and advertising solutions available to 26 million customers in 41 states.
OPPORTUNITY AND INNOVATION
Find a career in advanced technology here.
Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision plans available.
Paid Time Off
Paid vacation, sick and personal time, and holidays.
401(k) Retirement Savings
We provide a 100% match for every dollar you contribute, up to 6% of your eligible pay.
We support continuing education for personal and professional growth.
Advancement is a very real and achievable goal.
Training and Certification
Sponsored courses help enhance your skills.
Connect with us
Stay in the loop about everything that’s going on at Spectrum. Get information about local openings and hiring events delivered right to your inbox. You can even upload your resume so we can match you with new opportunities.